Just discovered purlin barely supported on a corner of a brick -HELP

What would be the concern for the scenario in your diagram?
That the instant you sneeze on that party wall, your neighbours roof will collapse too.

Would it be better to rest the purlin on a metal bracket or plate which is bolted to the brickwork?
Possibly?

If the scenario I have illustrated is the case, then it would make more sense to fit a longer repair piece of timber that catches both yours and the neighbours purlin mebbe? I am only assuming that it is a half brick thick wall. I may be wrong.

Sponsored Links
That the instant you sneeze on that party wall, your neighbours roof will collapse too.

Possibly?

If the scenario I have illustrated is the case, then it would make more sense to fit a longer repair piece of timber that catches both yours and the neighbours purlin mebbe? I am only assuming that it is a half brick thick wall. I may be wrong.

I am absolutely lost now. What would be my best approach to make sure the roof doesn't collapse? And what sort of trades people would be best placed to help?

what sort of trades people would be best placed to help?
A builder and a roofing chippie/carpenter.
Your roof quality is shocking, not your fault but you have inherited it. Get a surveyor to have a look and diagnose.

Sponsored Links

Possibly?

To use a longer piece of timber that catches both mine and my neighbors purlin would require feeding it through the party wall right? If so I think that might be very tricky.

To use a longer piece of timber that catches both mine and my neighbors purlin would require feeding it through the party wall right? If so I think that might be very tricky.
I'm making some pretty unsubstantiated assumptions, but you need to check things out before wielding the hammer. If the builders were mad enough to do what they did with yours then there could be merit in the diagram I posted.

Tricky or not, you may have to get in their loft in any case.

I'm making some pretty unsubstantiated assumptions, but you need to check things out before wielding the hammer. If the builders were mad enough to do what they did with yours then there could be merit in the diagram I posted.

Tricky or not, you may have to get in their loft in any case.

I've just been up and checked and the party wall is 1 brick thick, not half a brick thick. I'm assuming next door purlin is sitting on a corbell.

Great news.

I'm guessing not. I'm more inclined to think yours was a mistake, knowing now that the wall is actually 225mm thick.
i have gotten a few roofers to come and have a look (I'm thinking of re-roof in short term anyway), and they have all suggested that they need to strip the tiles and batons off and extend and fix the purlin on a metal plate to the party wall.

I have had prices of around £12000-£15000 for a re-roof in redland 49 tiles, and fix the purlin, sister any rafters to fix bow with possibly a new ridge board.

does this all sound sensible?

i have gotten a few roofers to come and have a look (I'm thinking of re-roof in short term anyway), and they have all suggested that they need to strip the tiles and batons off and extend and fix the purlin on a metal plate to the party wall.

I have had prices of around £12000-£15000 for a re-roof in redland 49 tiles, and fix the purlin, sister any rafters to fix bow with possibly a new ridge board.

Is that meant to read £15,000? As in Fifteen Thousand?

No. What I'd suggest is;
1. temporarily prop the purlin near the end;
2. cut back the end of the purlin sufficiently to chop away the projecting brick and bolt a short piece of timber to the brickwork to form a better ledge for the purlin.
3. extend the purlin on to the ledge by bolting a short length (4ft?) of 9x3 on to the end, and bridging on to the timber ledge - this means the purlin stays in its present position, but is better supported.
4. (assuming tiles are being removed) sister the rafters with 3x2; - where they sit above the level of the purlin where the roof dips, just pack between each sistering piece and the purlin with timber offcuts to make sure the load is carried on the purlin.

would I need to involve building control for this sort of work?

would I need to involve building control for this sort of work?
Yes.

fix the purlin on a metal plate to the party wall.
As the party wall is 225mm thick, Id be more inclined to site the purlin onto the wall. The uppermost part of a gable wall is hardly the most stable place to fixing a load bearing bracket.

I have had prices of around £12000-£15000
No. Seems like they've added a 1 in front of the £5'000.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back