Just had gas turned off

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just moved in to new home and british gas have seviced the boiler for the last x years old home owners.

We wanted to carry on home care service, engineer just been out comdeemed the boiler CO present in room via combustoin box and flue opening.
Been outside looks like the flue grill has never been seeled to wall should it have been if so should it have been picked up before also the british gas co detector was not working do they check them on home care service it says replace nov 2012

thanks for any answers

Sponsored Links
Testing a co detector was not part of the annual service visit as far as I remember.
A leak from a combustion box is serious but to give you further info the make and model would help as seals etc can be replaced if available.If however the leak is from a rusted hole in combustion box then depending on age/make/model you may be looking at a new boiler.Come back.

45 i always check co device but yes if co room and boilers to blame then he did the right thing

It wasn't part of the service visit when I worked for them.but as you do, I always checked them,although a lot didn't bother.

Sponsored Links
As I said it was not a part of the checklist when I was there,but obviously it is now.

Engineer had probably just done CPA1 :LOL:
Good call though if CO is present it is a serious matter the OP need to realise that what happened with the previous owner is irrelevent if there is a I.D, situation the OP is the owner and "Responsible person" now ansd will have to deal with it if the boiler is old a new one would be a good investment however if the OP posts the make and model, then more helpfull advice may follow! ;)

checklists have had a box for COD for 5 years at least. it doesn't say it has been checked though, just asks is there one and is it "approved"? whatever that means. only a fool wouldn't check it but BG have plenty of them.

you can only test the alarm noise works, not that they actually respond to an escape of co, plus it belongs to the customer...the test button is for them to use.

Nickso, yes you are right about the cod box.I'd forgotten and its only been a short while since I left. :D

I did an assessment recently and one of the Question was something to the effect of:

If a customer has decided to continue the contract of the households previous owner, are you allowed to inform the new owner of any previous Safety Warnings / Advice Notices?

The Answer Is NO because of data protection.

Obviously this only applies to NTCS & AR Warnings.

:rolleyes:

That seems to be a stupid question and answer!

The purpose of the Data Protection Act is not to prejudice anyones safety.

However, the correct answer should be No, but issue any current warnings to the new owner.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back