JUST HOW MUCH MORE CAN I GET AWAY WITH

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I am thinking of replacing my tiny garage with a bigger one, but I want to use it like a room / workshop / utility room /playroom for the kids. The current one uses one external wall of the house as one of it's walls and was built when the house was built (1933). I would probably have to do the same, as room is limited at the side of the house.

I have an attic extension and a fairly large extension at the back (one level) which was there when we moved in. Sounds like an over extended house but it has been done quite well and it is all fits in quite well.

I was told that I may have trouble getting permission for a bigger garage due to limits the regulations impose, which is supposed to stop you over extending. Does anybody know the limits, and how to apply them, so that I could check exactly?

Also I was told that despite these regs, there are ways to get around them, to do what I want (maybe juggling with the way it is constructed etc). Does anybody know what or how this can be achieved if I am near the limit already or am I stuck with my current tiny garage?

Thanks in advance for any help guys.

Sponsored Links
Whatever rules anyone may relay on this forum (and they may be reluctant to do so as this is a complex area open to interpretation) it will come down to what the Planning Department are happy with as you have probably used up Permitted Rights with previous extensions.

Asking a representative from the local Planning Department round is not necessarily selling your soul to the devil. From the little experience I've had they are flattered when someone takes the trouble to actually involve them up-front rather than when plans have already been drawn.

And from personal and very recent experience I can advise you that the overall look of the house within the neigbourhood is a consideration as well as light fall etc. I want to extend above my garage which will cause no neighbour any hardship. But because it will be the only house on the estate modified in this way I have had to go to appeal as it is considered out of character. And no, it's not a listed building or conservation area etc.

mrscalex said:
And from personal and very recent experience I can advise you that the overall look of the house within the neigbourhood is a consideration as well as light fall etc.
My next door neighbour built a garage wall in front of my kitchen window and I went down to the BCO & they said garages can be built anywhere providing it's within the building regulations, blocking light doesn't count as I has a patio door as well.Their reason was they wanted cars off the street. :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
I can appreciate a lot comes down to what they will let you have or get away with, but what I was after was some rough figures that people may have come across so that I have some idea as to what can be achieved. At the moment I am totally in the dark, I need ballpark figures if possible. Plus it would be interesting to work out. :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back