Just installed toilet - Unusual front flushing!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am currently having a bathroom installed and I had bought a toilet off eBay about 1-2yrs ago for it. I had it installed today and the strange thing is that rather than the main water flush coming from the back (where it is needed to prevent marks!), this toilet appears to flush from the front. Actually, the whole bowl has water on flush but the most water comes from the front part. My fitter said he has installed plenty of toilets in his life and he has never seen this before lol

Is this normal and in what circumstance would this be a suitable flush style to for?

Is it perhaps that the toilet is faulty or that it can be made to flush the other side?

I am already looking to buy another one especially after he 'tested' the toilet he said he had to flush twice for the bowl to be clean..he suggested to flush the toilet before going then again after - a total waste of water!

Any advice/info would be much appreciated!!

Perhaps this toilet is Irish or from the Southern Hemisphere? lolol :LOL:

Here is a video of it:

View My Video

Sponsored Links
Toilet flush varies greatly, poor flush is more down to the reduced amount of water used to save water wastage.

I understand but I'm not sure how it relates as the flush is not exactly 'poor', it's quite adequate but the where the flow starts is in the wrong place!

If you look at the video I have just added to my post you can see that the majority of the water comes out of the front where you would do a no1 not a no2 so that seems very strange.

Is this normal/indicative of a defect or something?

View My Video

Sponsored Links
Perfectly OK.....if you were to look under the rim you'd see where the water flush holes are, and on this one there would be more in the front.
John :)

I think I misheard what he said..He said he had never installed such a type before but that there were front and all around flushing available too but that the best was back. I am already having problems where the poo does not clean on the 1st flush and needs another (or another) to clear...annoying!

I'm afraid thats the design of that particular loo and you are stuck with it.....its not possible to alter things there!
Its true though - some are better than others at sorting your issue, but one thing is for certain......the more water used the better!
These low volume flushes are disastrous for drainage and clearing but I guess we are stuck with it.

Damn..it's a shame as everything else I bought on his recommendation but this I bought before I met him and we didn't realise its 'flaw' until it was installed.

I asked him if he recommended to buy another and he told me no (probably due to the fact that it took him a lot of work to attach the wastes as they were at 2 different levels and the space between them was extremely tight and he had to use a flexihose. Also, I am on a budget so it would just add to the cost, and already the material cost has risen due to the complexities of 1980's lazy and badly thought out council plumbing installation.

He said he will try to adjust it so that the bowl fills up more and there is a greater amount of water being flushed through. The thing is that I don't need to worry about saving water per se because I live in a council flat and pay £5pw water rates rather than a bill/be metered for it. I'll just have to politely tell guests to flush twice lol

I will suggest it to him tomorrow. Does this work on the push button flush cisterns as the images for a flapper valve on google I see seem to be for handle/chain operated ones?

In your experiences, does this improve the clearing of any poo stuck to the back or is there something else you can do to prevent/reduce this aside from getting a normal style toilet!

A flapper valve allows you to use as much or as little flush water as you wish.....it can also empty the cistern a little quicker than using a syphon system.
Of course, when the cistern is empty......its empty!
Its possible to adjust the water quantity in the cistern to some degree, by setting the fill valve to close just before overflowing.

I will suggest it to him tomorrow. Does this work on the push button flush cisterns as the images for a flapper valve on google I see seem to be for handle/chain operated ones?

In your experiences, does this improve the clearing of any poo stuck to the back or is there something else you can do to prevent/reduce this aside from getting a normal style toilet!

Flapper valve kits include push button top or side flush enquire at your local stockist.
The system is very simple and not a lot can go wrong with them, as burnerman states you can completely empty the cistern in one long flush
if one has a problem flushing away the contents.

Its a Japanese toilet, their men sit down to pee so the main flush needs to be at the front.

I know this because that's how they have been having a pee on all the tv joke shows that had Japanese men on using portaloos. :LOL:

Actually I found the details and it's this toilet:

http://www.bathstore.com/products/euro-trio-wall-hung-pan-1034.html

Which is a well known UK store so I don't know why they would have stocked a strange toilet and not said anything in the specifications! The waste is actually in the middle rather than towards the back and also as I said, front flushing.

The cistern I have is this one:

http://www.plumbnation.co.uk/site/g...88SgbuyJYODlfai-oFl5TdQ1KOhjlLtL1HB5T8e_D_BwE

and I have a front facing push button rather than top and my fitter said that apparently that a flapper valve won't work with it.

The fitter also said that this toilet is designed by/for women as when they **** it hits the front rather than the back with men so front flush is perfect for them lol You learn something new everyday!

I have actually seen a different toilet on eBay so I am going to hopefull bid successfully for it and be away with all this crap (literally) lol

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back