Keep secondary glazing when new double glazing is fitted?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have two layers of sliding windows (original windows from 50 years ago). The two windows are separate, so one can be taken out while retaining the other. The ensuite bedroom faces in the direction of train tracks, but the noise is not too bad even with the windows open and totally acceptable with them closed (I appreciate the larger gap between existing panes is superior to double glazing for noise reduction purposes).

For both even better thermal and acoustic insulation, should I retain the inner sliding window, which the installer said I could do if I wanted? Would there a significant benefit with retaining it? Or will it just be an ugly nuisance to access the new uPVC casement main window?

Condensation is an issue in the room, so with them closed the trickle air vent, if opened might mean damp air gets exchanged even less although there are vents in the existing sliding window frame?

Sponsored Links
To prevent sound and condensation I'd keep secondary glazing. Up to you

I'd keep it for both the reasons you suggested.

Try noise levels with the inner window open for a few days/nights and then decide.
Ditto on a cold day for the temperature.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back