keeping dry when working on radiators

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have seen suggestions in the forum to seal off the flow from the header tank to avoid draining the system in order to work on a radiator.

What do you use to do this and how much water is likely to escape from a microbore system initially when a joint is broken in this situation.

Sponsored Links
speedfit stop end on the vent
rubber or similar bing in the cold feed

if you turn the rad valves on the rad you are working on to closed you should loose about an eggcup full
DONT open both pipes at the same time

you get a bung kit, or radiator valve kit.....the merchants will know what you mean.Go to the f&e tank in the loft and seal your vent pipe and stick one down in the the feed pipe. Now you can break any rad joint to drain off a bit of water, can be anything from nothing at all to a few litres before it holds.....or it may no hold at all. Don't forget to retighten that joint before you break the one you want to work on.2 open ends only or it won't hold..........and be quick :!:

Sponsored Links
Thanks a lot guys. It sounds easy the way you put it, but if my previous experiences are anything to go by, I should be wearing oilskins in any case. :)

if you are stuck potato shoved on open vent,carrot or parsnip in the cold feed,i prefer carrots but some engineers prefer parsnips :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: this is how we used to cap/plug feed to ascot 715 water heaters while the absectos strippers removed them :LOL: :LOL:

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL: so thats what TV chefs mean by versatile vegetables

I use a condom :p Works a treat. just be careful it doesnt get sucked into the system or you got big problems :cry:

Things being equal (!!. standard size condom, standard -22mm - open vent) I'd say using a condom to block it was a Very Bad Idea indeed! Once a vacuum is formed by taking water out of a rad, there'll be every chance of the condom being dragged into the vent pipe then torn apart on the sharp end, giving you bits of torn latex throughout the pipework!

(This reminds me of the Urban Mythical stories reported from hospital A&E departments along the lines of: 'Well doctor, it all started when I was carrying the vacuum cleaner upstairs - and tripped. '...)

I once had a 1ft square of thick builder's bag sucked into a 22mm pipe. My flabber was gasted. Luckily the pipe was going out of use.

You can use a big ball of plumbers mait shoved onto the outlet fitting, on the inside of the f/e tank.

I've had trubble getting the cones to seal where the tank connector has 2 splines on the inside to hold it with.

ChrisR said:
I've had trubble getting the cones to seal where the tank connector has 2 splines on the inside to hold it with.

sometimes seals if you wrap a load of ptfe round the cone, but usually a drain down.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back