Keeping it Legal

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Calling all Corgi chaps

I'm a plumber who has been putting in gas central heating systems with a registered CORGI installer. We are both self employed (separately, if you see what I mean). He has suggested recently that I do the majority of the work whilst he's not there and he'll sort out the gas side of things ie disconnect from old system and then reconnect and commission the boiler, once it is all ready. Although I trust the chap I use - I've know him for many years and he's been registered with CORGI for 22 years, he is the only CORGI person I know and just want to check that I will not be breaking the law.

First of all I thought I wasn't allowed to mount the boiler unless being observed by a registered installer - is this true? If so I believe we can get round this by simply mounting the jig (as with some of the Halsteads for example) and then putting the boiler up when the chap comes round to do the gas connections. However, if I am not allowed to mount the boiler it does mean that the 'water' side of the system can't be checked prior to the CORGI chap arriving.. hence the question.

This then brings me to the question of the water pump - I'm assuming that I'm not allowed to take the front cover off to bleed the pump? Is this correct?

The gas pipework. Other than the final connection to the gas supply, am I allowed to run and solder the gas pipework as long as it is checked by the CORGI chap before he connects and tests the supply? (assuming pipe sizing, position and location all being correct)

Are there any restrictions as to what I am allowed to do re the flue? I realise that on some of the models if I can't mount the boiler then it's going to pretty difficult to work out where the flue needs to be, but at least the hole can be made and the flue placed in-situ in readiness for connection....

Is it correct that under the new regulations I am allowed to install a fused 3amp switch on a spur? (for the boiler) are there restrictions as to where I am allowed to do this in the property?

Just wanting to keep it legal..

Clearglass.

Sponsored Links
As I suspect you know very well, "clearglass", there are a lot of grey areas around exactly what a non Corgi registered person can do.

The law makes it's statement about not "working on a gas fitting", but what is a gas fitting - those parts of a boiler that carry gas, the whole boiler, the whole system, etc..?

You sound pretty knowledgeable and articulate - why not become Corgi registered yourself? That would solve your problem, wouldn't it?

Sponsored Links
If you saw the farce of a programme "Rogue Traders" tonight you would be in little doubt!! You will read elsewhere I daresay so I won't go into detail. But they were watching a non-corgi regd guy, who had restriction orders from the HSE, working on a boiler. They only rapped his knuckles when he took the gas valve off. It was a bloody joke.

I'm sure there will be some fuss about it and Corgi will be forced to make their position clear, to you, me and the BBC. Give it a couple of days and you should get a reliable answer from corgi, even if it's a stupid one.

If the boiler is in a kitchen/bathroom then you need to have the electrics certified to part p if you do not qualify as a competent person. Look up part p on search engines to point you in right direction

By the GSIU Regs I would interpret you can't work on gas pipework at all.

Just my opinion, but if a corgi reg person is supervising the job as a whole even though he might not be there all the time you could hang the boiler flue etc, because it is his decision where things go and his responsibility.

I'd just stay clear of the gas pipe and connections and leave all above decisions to him. Don't do any work on the boiler other than connect to it. Leave it for him to gas up and commission.

Do what you like, if the corgi chap thinks your competent and is willing to put his neck on the line by taking full responcabilty for the installation if it goes tits up I cant see a problem.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back