Kettling when on hot water only

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I changed my cylinder recently which was a success, eventually. However I seem to have a problem with the boiler getting noisy when heating HW only.

There appears to be two valves on the HW circuit which I fiddled with during another problem (I know I should have left them alone). What do they do one appears to be a gate valve which can only be operated with a spanner and one has a brass tube (lock shield?) around the spindle.

What is their function and is there a way of setting them up.

Thanks for any advice

Regards

John

Sponsored Links
the one with the the brass tube is a balancing valve for the cylinder, its meant to stop the rads going cold while you heat up the cylinder

no idea what the gatevalve is for a pic may help

did you bleed the pipes going into the cylinder?

is the balancing valve open?

i would guess one valve is on return from the cylinder for balancing flow through the coil other maybe a bypass if these valves are throttled down too much you will not get min flow rate through boiler hence ketteling & possible overheat

Thanks for the replies

Hopefully this is a picture, click on it for a larger image.

If it works something else I've learnt.

So the problem may be they are not open enough? Presumably they is an issue if they are too far open.

Cheers

John

Sponsored Links
Right

the one on the 22mm is the cylinder balancing valve, open it up

the one on the 15mm pipe is the bypass valve, make sure it is open half way

:)

can you post a pic slightly higher than this one, say of where the flow pipe goes into the cylinder

Thanks corgiman

Here are some more pictures:-

and

Cheers

John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back