Key System Fault - Nissan Qashqai

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

Looking for help with Key System Fault here. I have a 1.5 DCI n-Connecta model from 2018 (which I purchased 6 months ago). A few months ago, the car started giving starting trouble and needed a jumpstart to start. The mechanic suggested replacing the battery as there was corrosion on the leads.

After replacing the battery, the car has started to intermittently start showing "Warning : Key System Fault".

Key System Error.jpeg

Then the Steering + Start/Stop sign comes on and the car wont start.

Steering Lock error.jpeg

I have to try locking/unlocking the car a few times before the car starts.

The mechanic says that they key may need reprogramming after the battery was replaced and I need to contact Nissan dealership which has a 6 weeks delay. Has anyone experienced this before? I have searched the forum for this issue and seems like a few others have had this issue but haven't found a resolution.

Any pointers or suggestions will be much appreciated!

Thanks,
Ash

Sponsored Links
Does this happen with both/all your keys?

Have you cleaned off the corrosion on and around the battery leads?

Follow the battery earth lead to where it bolts to the bodywork. Is there corrosion?

I find corrosion is very unusual in modern cars, so look around the battery, on its top, and any little vent tube on the top, for any sign of gas or fluid escaping, or rain being thrown in (again, unusual in modern cars unless there is damage).

Is it the right battery, stop start type ?

Did it need programming to the car, has it been done ?

Is it the right battery, stop start type ?

Did it need programming to the car, has it been done ?
Yes the new battery is the correct start/stop one. The mechanic showed that to me specifically.

I don't think any programming has been done. What does that entail? Is it programming the key?

Sponsored Links
Does this happen with both/all your keys?

Have you cleaned off the corrosion on and around the battery leads?

Follow the battery earth lead to where it bolts to the bodywork. Is there corrosion?

I find corrosion is very unusual in modern cars, so look around the battery, on its top, and any little vent tube on the top, for any sign of gas or fluid escaping, or rain being thrown in (again, unusual in modern cars unless there is damage).
Yes, it was strange that we saw corrosion on the battery. It kept dying so we finally had to replace it. Have a new start stop battery fitted in last week. The key fault started only after the new battery was fit in.

Yes the new battery is the correct start/stop one. The mechanic showed that to me specifically.

I don't think any programming has been done. What does that entail? Is it programming the key?
It needs the vehicle battery information programmed into the ecu.

Not totally sure yours needs it, but it is possible.

What make and type battery was fitted

Have you also changed the Key Fob battery?

Is there an alternative code reader method for the key fob?

Don't know Nissan's so cannot suggest a method. It's probably buried in the Handbook somewhere. I Know how it's done on Honda's, Nissan's could be and probably are different.

Have the cable ends also been cleaned and prove jelly applied?
Also in another thread there has been a suggestion on how to 'reset' the car electronic's (Mottie?) - maybe that needs doing on your car.

Ive read a lot of different views on this, if the battery ratings are identical some say it doesnt need coding but its a bit of a grey area.
If the fault has happened since the battery change id certainly look into getting it coded as that seems the most logical solution.

These clever clogs alternators/controllers vary the charge rate depending on the age and performance of the battery. If you replace the battery they like to know so they can reassess the charge rate.

Registering the battery as new during the coding process sends the relevant info to the control circuits so that it understands what to do.

With my BMW you can register the battery with an obd2 reader quite easily. Just the type of battery and date itis installed. Not sure about your Nissan though.

Yes, it was strange that we saw corrosion on the battery. It kept dying so we finally had to replace it. Have a new start stop battery fitted in last week. The key fault started only after the new battery was fit in.
Suggests it is battery related

Hi All,

Looking for help with Key System Fault here. I have a 1.5 DCI n-Connecta model from 2018 (which I purchased 6 months ago). A few months ago, the car started giving starting trouble and needed a jumpstart to start. The mechanic suggested replacing the battery as there was corrosion on the leads.

After replacing the battery, the car has started to intermittently start showing "Warning : Key System Fault".

Key System Error.jpeg

Then the Steering + Start/Stop sign comes on and the car wont start.

Steering Lock error.jpeg

I have to try locking/unlocking the car a few times before the car starts.

The mechanic says that they key may need reprogramming after the battery was replaced and I need to contact Nissan dealership which has a 6 weeks delay. Has anyone experienced this before? I have searched the forum for this issue and seems like a few others have had this issue but haven't found a resolution.

Any pointers or suggestions will be much appreciated!

Thanks,
Ash
Your second picture infers that the 'handshake' between car and fob is not communicating correctly. It also suggests to me that you should offer the key fob up to the NFC reader point in the car saloon.

Ive read a lot of different views on this, if the battery ratings are identical some say it doesnt need coding but its a bit of a grey area.
If the fault has happened since the battery change id certainly look into getting it coded as that seems the most logical solution.
Thank you. When you mean get it coded - does that mean take key to dealership for reprogramming?

Your second picture infers that the 'handshake' between car and fob is not communicating correctly. It also suggests to me that you should offer the key fob up to the NFC reader point in the car saloon.
I have tried offering the FOB to the start/stop button for linking it. Is that what you mean?

Sponsored Links
Back