Kickback in CH System

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Last year, we had a new Potterton Suprima fitted, and the system converted from gravity to pressurised.

Since then we have had problems with a loud bang/kickback in either the flow or return whenever the room thermostat switched off (boiler shut down). The person who fitted suggested opening a gate valve (which is on either the flow or return - I can not recall) one whole turn. This is now done and the system now makes the noise when the thermostat switches in!!

Do I have to try and balance the system in some way?

The system is pressurised currently at 1.5 bar (Max allowable 3.0 bar). I see from my pump guide that there is a thing called "cavitation" - which can be cured by upping the system pressure - any ideas?

Sponsored Links
Don't increase the system pressure, unless you are in a 50ft high building. Search the forum for expansion vessels to learn about the pressure setting.

Is this gate valve placed between the flow and return? If so, it should be a differential bypass valve, and the gate valve is a bodge. To reduce the banging, try turning the pump speed down and see what happens.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back