Kitchen Cooking Appliances

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

I'm in the process of planning a new kitchen, and would be grateful for some information about how to install several cooking appliances.

I currently have one electrical cooking appliance - a Moffat MSF615 (rated at 2000w I think, but I may be wrong). I intend to install a ceramic hob - An Electrolux EHF6241FOK - at this location, with an extractor fan - Electrolux EFI60012S - above. I believe I can simply plug the extractor into a convenient 13A socket, but I'm not at all sure about the hob. Could anybody please clarify the circuit requirements I would need to take into account for this.

ALSO, I am planning to install 2 further appliances at the other end of the kitchen. A tall unit will contain both a Zanussi Oven ZOP37902XK (fuse rating of 16A, according to the brochure) and a Zanussi Oven/Microwave ZKC38310XK (fuse rating of 15A, according to the brochure). This location does not currently have any power other than standard 13A sockets.

Please could anyone provide me with the info about the best way provide for the installation of these 3 appliances - current rating required, whether the 3 appliances can be wired into a single suitable ring main or not and so on.

Thanks in anticipation.

Sponsored Links
Much will depend on both kitchen and house design. With my parents in a 1950's house there was a problem that the existing insulation was not compliant with current regulations. Although one and continue to use older stuff to add to it presents a problem including things like RCD protection. Since your not using British stuff which except for hob would be 3kW or less you will need to wire using the continental method of using many MCB/RCBO devices and radial circuits. With British stuff you can use fused connection units (FCU) which makes it simpler.

So likely you will need to fit MCB/RCBO devices and these will need a consumer unit to be fitted into. This could be your existing consumer unit or as done with my parents a separate consumer unit for the kitchen in their case mounted in the kitchen. In their case to power it the SWA cable was run outside and clamped to wall so no need to lift floor boards and also no need for a RCD on the main supply cable each circuit in the kitchen was feed with a RCBO.

Since the hob is not induction I suppose there is no problem with touch controls as it's slow to react anyway so does not really need the speed afforded by using knobs. But do be aware children and people in wheel chairs have a big problem with touch control as at the angle they are viewing the controls they are often invisible. It means a lot of guess work on their part and there is always a chance of turning on the wrong area. And unlike induction which has all the safety features build in and will not work if there is no pan the hob you have selected will get hot even when there is no pan. We had to rip out the new touch control hob for my mother and replace it for one with knobs.

Kitchen electrics are notifiable so not economic to DIY with LABC charges so likely you will have a scheme member electrician to do the work so you need to talk it over with him.

One think which makes a huge difference is if 30ma RCD is already fitted or not. Where already fitted then modifying existing is not too much of a problem but when it requires one to be fitted then likely that means a new consumer unit either instead or as well as the orignal.

One has to admit the Labour party when in power did generate loads of jobs with their Part P regulations however it is us that end up paying for them.

Also please note the RCD needs to be 30ma the old 100ma will not do and in the main it's not a simple job to change them.

One has to admit the Labour party when in power did generate loads of jobs with their Part P regulations ...
:rolleyes:

this is a legacy from the Labour government called Part P.
Although the consultation document may have been issued in 2002, it contained the results of the Regulatory Impact Analysis (performed by Civil Servants, not politicians) which must have taken a while, and the first edition of Approved Document P (ditto).

The whole process which led to the consultation document being issued kicked off in response to the Construction Industry Deregulation Task Force’s 1995 report which recommended amongst other things that the Building Regulations should address electrical safety and that the administrative burden on builders should be rationalised. The Government at the time responded to these recommendations by agreeing to review the case for new requirements and how they might best be practically introduced.

Blair/Brown/Prescott were nothing to do with the Government in 1995 (some bloke called Major was in charge), and between 1997 & 2002 there were a few other distractions, like handing back Hong Kong¹, wars in Kosovo & Afghanistan and the run-up to the 2nd Gulf one, Scottish & Welsh Devolution, House of Lords reform, Foot & Mouth crisis etc. When a report produced after years of work by civil servants and industry experts telling them that painstaking and diligent research showed that this proposed legislation, supported by hundreds of relevant and expert bodies, would save lives arrived it was not unreasonable for them to say "OK, we'll lay it before Parliament", rather than starting all over again to verify the work already done. That's how governments work and that's what would have happened whoever had been in power.

¹ FYI - that was something else they inherited from a Conservative administration.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back