Kitchen Downlighters & Floor insulation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All

Currently have the kitchen ceiling down! and would like to make some changes to the downlighters that were there at the same time and looking for a bit of advice.

There are currently 6 LV downlighters running off one large transformer, however what I want to do now is replace these with mains voltage energy saving fireguard ones in a daisy chain.

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/GUFRD11SC.html

I would also like to install some insulation between the joists but am unsure as the best product to use here and how close it could be to these units. Not sure what the regs are on this also now wondering if I need fire resisting plasterboard now as the new ceiling.

So many questions! any help much appreciated :)

Sponsored Links
Why do you want fire protection and insulation? Is this a fire check ceiling?

And if you're using low energy lamps, there is less of an issue with heat build up. You wont need heat resisting plasterboard or the like. And any insulation you put up can come closer but i still dont recommend it touching.

Hi Steve

Did not know if it was needed these days what with all the reg changes. But if it's ok to go with normal downlighters in the kitchen then I will go with that. I take it that they should have fire protection in the loft though is that correct?

I thought as I was able to access it at this time it would be good to insulate for energy saving.

Rgds

Sponsored Links
if the ceiling just backs onto a loft, no fire protection is needed. But if you were to convert the loft in the future, fire protection would probably be needed.

Its worth mentioning, fire hoods and fire fittings do not stop the fitting catching fire. They simply stop the spread of fire from a room below, to a room above, by expanding and filling the downlight hole with intumescent material. They are only required where the ceiling forms a fire barrier. In residential premises this only occurs where there is a room above a garage, and between flats in multiple dwelling buildings.

low energy lamps are the future, well done for choosing them - you'll see the benefit, and they give much nicer light.

Insulate over the fittings, but build little boxes to put round them for a little ventilation. Heat isnt a major issue with low energy lamps, but its not good to insulate any lamp.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back