Kitchen Help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have my 16th but haven’t completed Part P yet so I’m after some advice as this will need Part P-ing when it’s complete:

Kitchen supply is to be completely re-fitted to include the new conservatory. Wall in question is currently the rear (external and arrowed) wall of the house. Electrical sockets (2x 2 gang) are only required along this external wall (which will now become the (internal) dividing wall of the conservatory and the house. Suggestions on how to run the cables:

Along the wall and up in to the sockets using top hat/ oval conduit. Do the socket need to be at the new approved height?
Or
Through the concrete floor. What depth do the cables need to be? Floor will be levelled and tiled.

The cables cannot be dropped from the roof space as the conservatory will have a very thin pitched roof.

(Have done a drawing to explain but can't get it on here)

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Have a look at page 95 of the regs 522-06-03 / 04 / 05 . Personally I'd run the sockets to match existing.

You could notify the Local Building control and do the work yourself and get them to check the work off. Find how much the fee is first and if not too pricey then it will be more economical for you to do the work.

In my never ending quest of pedantry and the desire to get everyone using the right lingo, isnt top hat a kind of din rail? Capping is the alternative to oval round these parts. Is this another regional difference?

I've heard it refered to "capping", "top hat" (that's what I know din rail as too) and "u-channel" (??!!!)

At least you all seem to know what I'm talking about........

I'll dig the regs out tonight but has anyone done this before - a few words of experience go along way.

Sponsored Links
If you are running cables in the concrete floor then they will need to either be in earthed steel conduit, or you must use SWA or MICC type cables incorporating an earthed metallic sheath.

Unless the property is being fully refurbished then you can install the sockets to match the existing ones (But check with your BCO that he agrees, as some wrongly insist on mounting them to the new heights, and their say so is final)

To post a picture, click on my signature

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back