Kitchen hot tap not running

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've woken up this morning to a kitchen hot tap that is not running any water.

Cold tap is fine, 2 other hot taps in bathrooms are fine, central heating is fine and boiler pressure is fine and doesn't show any warnings.

My first thought (considering the weather) was a frozen pipe, but if the cold tap to the same sink is OK, is that possible? I would have thought both would be not working.

I'm a novice so would appreciate any advice on how to diagnose this problem.

The only other thing of note is that builders had left my outside hose tap on a couple of weeks ago. I only noticed last night, as the hose has a trigger so had only just starting spurting out yesterday when the pressure had built up. There was a considerable amount of water outside but it has drained away overnight. I can't see how it would be connected but could be relevant.

Sponsored Links
Show us a pic of your tap.
Is no hot water flowing at all ,or is it flowing but not hot ?
If it's the former its most likely the tap valve at fault.

Thanks, picture attached below, it's a mixer with one handle for hot and one for cold.

There's no water at all coming out when I turn the handle for hot, but cold is coming out fine.

20221214_122232579_iOS.jpg

Likely the tap insert, however check under the sink if there’s an isolation valve fitted and been turned off by mistake.

Sponsored Links
It's either blocked ,or the tap valve is kaput .
Is hot water provided by a combi boiler or gravity fed hot water cylinder ?

Both valves in the right position and I've done a sanity check on the cold one, works as expected.

I've got a combi boiler, Worcester green Star 32.

I think my next step will be to remove the tap but not sure what I'd be looking for?

16710218401189052232268286575768.jpg

I just turned the valve off, disconnected the flex hose and turned the valve back to on position... No water is coming out of the pipe. Guessing that means the problem is not with the tap?

Do you have a cold water storage tank in the loft feeding the hot water? Likely that that's frozen and emptied.

Ignore that, I see you have a combi!

Next problem...the pipes appear to go into the roofspace of the single-story extension to get to the hot tap...

What are the chances that putting on my central heating all day will thaw the pipe? Or should I just get a plumber round at this point?

I assume there is no access above the ceiling of extension ?
Are there downlights in ceiling that could be dropped down ,to get heat into the void ?
Not much a plumber could do if a hidden pipe is frozen ,and heating the place would be advisable.

Reactions: CBW
There is access from the garage although embarrassingly I don't have a stepladder so can't get up there :(

Managed to take a photo, most of the pipes look to be insulated apart from one. Hopefully I can borrow a ladder to get up there.

I've got the kitchen spotlights hanging and door to the garage open to try to get a bit of warmth up there!

IMG20221214144329.jpg

Thanks Andy.

I've had the heating on all day and turned off the mains so will check this afternoon.

Unfortunately it doesn't look like it's going to get any warmer outside for a few days!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back