Kitchen island electrics (block and beam floor)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

We're in the final stretch of the completion of an extension and still have access to all contractors. We're having an Island in the kitchen for electric hob and x1 double socket. Our kitchen sub floor is is concrete block & beam flooring. Our electrician has said to chase out a chanel for the cables and run through pvc piping.

Is this possible to channel through block & beam as these are structural? There is a thin layer concrete on top of suspended flooring but not deep enough for a pvc pipe for cables to run through. Could I run cables under the suspended floor with an entry hole at one end and an exit whole underneath the island but still run through pvc piping?

We still have access to contractors so not sure if it would be our builder that could help us out with this prep work.

Ill be checking it with electrician first before doing anything.

Many thanks in advance

Jono

Sponsored Links
Hi all

We're in the final stretch of the completion of an extension and still have access to all contractors. We're having an Island in the kitchen for electric hob and x1 double socket. Our kitchen sub floor is is concrete block & beam flooring. Our electrician has said to chase out a chanel for the cables and run through pvc piping.

Is this possible to channel through block & beam as these are structural? There is a thin layer concrete on top of suspended flooring but not deep enough for a pvc pipe for cables to run through.
Could I run cables under the suspended floor with an entry hole at one end and an exit whole underneath the island but still run through pvc piping?

We still have access to contractors so not sure if it would be our builder that could help us out with this prep work.

Many thanks in advance

Jono
That will be my vastly preferred method.

I find it hard to believe the concrete over the block and beam is so shallow it cannot accommodate an electrical conduit, which is only likely to be 20mm in diameter.

An oval PVC conduit is probably around 20mm x 10mm, Surely that would fit.

Hi all

Is this possible to channel through block & beam as these are structural? There is a thin layer concrete on top of suspended flooring but not deep enough for a pvc pipe for cables to run through. Could I run cables under the suspended floor with an entry hole at one end and an exit whole underneath the island but still run through pvc piping?

Many thanks in advance

Jono
I dont understand the floor make up - assuming this is the ground floor, it would be normal for the Block and beam floor to have insulation put on top and then screed onto that.

Is the insulation below the floor? -seems unlikely I don’t know that would be possible.

Are you sure the thin concrete over the block n beam is just the cement slurry used to fill the gaps, and it’s still to be insulated?

Sponsored Links
Original ground floor was built in 2004 by House builder so there should be insulation on top of block and beam, ill check. Will also check screed depth on top to see if it can take a smaller diameter conduit as suggested. Thanks for all your responses.

Can you draw a quick cross section of the floor construction and post it here?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back