kitchen oulets for appliances - location?

Sponsored Links
No.

Much better is to have the FCU in the row of outlets above the worktop, then run the cable vertically up to your flex outlet. It need not be inside the hood enclosure, it can be beside it where it will stay cleaner and be easier to disconnect. At high level it will not be noticable.

BTW you are a hijacker (see forum rules)

Actually you've also reminded me, I had one other question on the same....

I'm having a extractor chimney hood for our island. Given this is ceiling-mounted, I'm going to need to put the FCU and 3 Pole Fan isolator switch on a wall. I was just going to put these high up near ceiling level, next to each other.

I guess they'll be a couple of metres away from the hood. Is this acceptable and are there any location issues I need to consider before I fit some k/o boxes?

John D - Rule 20 noted. :oops:

BTW how can I have the FCU above the worktop the cooker is below the Hood?

Sponsored Links
Thanks JohnD seems your a kitchen expert. The only thing is there is not much option of putting the FCU to the side (its a question of available space). Going back to my pic of the FCU next to the chimney and flex outlet behind the hood is this against the regs or just not your personal preference or is it the accessability issue i.e. height of the FCU

preference.

But as long as the outlet is directly (vertically) above the switch (to make the cable run obvious) you can put it as much as 2m to the side if you want.

I would have hoped you had at least 600mm of worktop each side of the hob to make usage tolerable, and some sockets above this worktop.

you could do (you are allowed to run within 150mm of the ceiling:wall junction) but why not put it on the other side of the cooker?

Theres the worlds biggest window to the right of the cooker not shown properly on my pic. So theres no chance of putting the FCU there or I would have. I have already chased in and wired sockets to the left of the cooker that Im going to have to reposition. Hmmm :evil:

By the way In answer to your next question I have informed the council ;)

Thanks agian JohnD

Talk about a thread hijak!!!

I was hoping for some advice for my issue, seems I got left behind!!

JohnD, can I trouble you again, re location of fuse/switching for an island extractor ?

Also, reading your input to councillers issue, I have a similar problem for my washing machine. It will have the sink drainer directly above it, then above that is the window, so there isnt a safe place to put a switch to isolate the socket.

The sensible place is on the adjacent wall, out of reach of the sink, still within 2 meters of the appliance....link so, but is this acceptable?

wiring-sink.gif

voycie. My appoligies Im fairly new to this forum and dont know all the rules I can now see why hijacking is not allowed. Must be pretty frustrating.

note: I think people on this site like pretty pictures like your previous post. It always seems to get a quick respone and people know exactly what you mean so it doesnt put them off replying. Maybe you should do a drawing and post it as a new thread. Scouts honour I wont even look at it :)

Voycie, there must be some reason why you don't put the switch on the wall to the left.

If you are having a cluster of switches on the right, you must affix permanent labels so that it is clear which one to turn off when, e.g. a child puts his arm in the washer

Ah right - I should have been clearer, next to thewashing machine is a pair of french doors - butted up against the windowframe - so there is no wall here...

Also, the Kitchen isnt a full 2.4m in height (cottage) so the worktop will come a few inches below the window seal where the sink / washing machine is.

Given the proximity of the sink and drainer, I had assumed it wouldn't be desireable or allowable to put the switch there, hence I figured it would be better on the wall alongside the others.

Does this make sense?

You could put it (rather high) above the drainer if you like.

Recommendation is min 300mm from the edge of the sink/drainer, though I think this is too close. It must certainly be where it will not get splashed.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back