Kitchen Spotlights

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have 10xGU10 kitchen spotlights, these were installed approx 2 years ago, after about 6 months these bulbs regularly pop and trip the electric fuse box.

But would anyone have any idea why these pop so regularly, I must have used about 30-40 in two years. The ones installed in the bathroom are are fine and have been in use for 5 years.

I did think that it could be from the bathroom (directly above kitchen) as we have had leakage problems from the shower in the past and perhaps some water seeped onto the connections. But having checked under the bath, everything is dry.

Any ideas / tests I could do. It really is driving me mad. I was hoping to purchase the energy efficient bulbs, but as they cost quite a bit for 10, I am put off as the thought of regulalry replacing them frightens me.

regards

Sponsored Links
just a guess, but its probably due to excess heat building around the fittings.
The same probably isn't true of the fittings in your bathroom.
They will probably be cooler due to air circulation in the loft space.

Its because halogen downlights are crap and are not intended for what they are now being used for.

They were brought out for things like display lighting in shops, the lamp was open so lots of air.

Now they are shoved up in ceilings, In a hot environment, steamy too and with donor kebab fumes on a Friday night.
People then stuff thermal insulation all over them and go to B&Q and IKEA to buy the cheapest lamps they can find.

No wonder they go pop.

And people walk about on the floor above the kitchen, which causes vibration to the lamps too.

Sponsored Links
It's because you're touching the lens of the lamp with your fingers when you replace them. The oil? on your fingers affects the coating (or something) and dramatically reduces lamp life. Use rubber gloves, or a cloth or something when putting new bulbs in so your fingers don't touch the lamp.

(maybe)

that doesn't apply to domestic halogens.. the light capsule itself is enclosed in a reflector.. you can't actually touch it like you can with car headlight..

to the OP.. you're dimming them aren't you?.. come on.. admit it...

halogens don't like being dimmed, it reduces teh lifespan greatly.. they rely on the heat to prevent the filament from eroding..

So why do they all have instructions to not touch the the lamp, or if unavoidable to wipe off? Or a diagram of someone touching the lamp with a big X thru them?

A standard/cheap lamp will last for about 1000 hours.

10 of them means you will be replacing them every 100 hours on average.

Using them for 4 hours a day (not unlikely in a kitchen) would be a replacement every 25 days - or 30 over 2 years.

The bathroom ones last longer because they are used less.

It's because you're touching the lens of the lamp with your fingers when you replace them. The oil? on your fingers affects the coating (or something) and dramatically reduces lamp life. Use rubber gloves, or a cloth or something when putting new bulbs in so your fingers don't touch the lamp.

(maybe)

Total crap. GU10 lamps have the lamp envelope totally enclosed so you cannot get your greasy mitts on the hot bit.
Your advice is good for capsule lamps, but he has GU10s.

Total crap. GU10 lamps have the lamp envelope totally enclosed so you cannot get your greasy mitts on the hot bit.
Your advice is good for capsule lamps, but he has GU10s.

You seem to be saying that the outer surface does not get hot? - Total crap!

Why do the packets of GU10's tell you not to touch them? From this packet in front of me: 'Avoid touching the lamp, if unavoidable, use a clean cloth to wipe off.'

Why do the packets of GU10's tell you not to touch them? From this packet in front of me: 'Avoid touching the lamp, if unavoidable, use a clean cloth to wipe off.'
Maybe it was written by someone who just thought you shouldn't touch the glass?

The glass on the front of a GU10 lamp is just that - glass, and therefore does not get damaged by oils when hot like quartz does.

Never heard of this, i press the switch the lights come on, no dimmer switch installed, if thats what you mean.

to the OP.. you're dimming them aren't you?.. come on.. admit it...

I did try buying expensive lamps, but they kept popping as well
also try to avoid buying cheap lamps, go for decent lamps prefrably OSRAM

This is interesting, anyone have any further knowledge on this theory?
just a guess, but its probably due to excess heat building around the fittings.

In terms of touching the lamp, I always use the plastic sucker that helps you screw them in and out, so I don't touch the lamps.

I am really considering this if I can't sort out the problem
Get rid of all the lights, make good the holes in the ceiling, install something that actually works.

If you have anymore ideas then please keep posting.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back