Kitchen wiring - dishwasher spur question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'd like to put a socket under the worktop for the dish-washer, and know it's good practice for it to have a switch above in the form of a fused connection unit. I want a socket in the close vacinity of the switch for this spur, and was wondering whether a combined unit is available, or whether I'd need to mount a single switch next to a single socket in a 'twin' pattress? Or could I use a cooker switch and socket, relabelling the word cooker with dymo tape or similar (which I'm loathe to do, as it would imply the circuit was capable of carrying more current)

Sponsored Links
if the socket is on the ring, just put a DP switch next to it and a feed to a single socket under the units

andrew2022 said:
if the socket is on the ring, just put a DP switch next to it and a feed to a single socket under the units

No - there isn't any socket currently there - I'm going to add both a socket ( preferably a double one) above the new counter, and one below for a dish-washer.

Fran Faulkner said:
andrew2022 said:

No - there isn't any socket currently there - I'm going to add both a socket ( preferably a double one) above the new counter, and one below for a dish-washer.

itll be best to do as i have said, keeping the new socket on the ring. otherwise youll have 1 run 1 spur to the new socket (above bench) and another to the FCU/DP switch for the under bench socket since you cant spur from a spur (unless you have a radial and not a ring)

OR you can have a spur to the FCU and then a cable to under bench socket and above bench socket, altho this way you could have to replace the fuse fairly often...

Sponsored Links
andrew2022 said:
Fran Faulkner said:

itll be best to do as i have said, keeping the new socket on the ring. otherwise youll have 1 run 1 spur to the new socket (above bench) and another to the FCU/DP switch for the under bench socket since you cant spur from a spur (unless you have a radial and not a ring)

OR you can have a spur to the FCU and then a cable to under bench socket and above bench socket, altho this way you could have to replace the fuse fairly often...

Yep - that's what I thought I'll add a double socket into the ring, then spur a DP switch and FCU from that. Thanks for the advice.

Fran Faulkner said:
Yep - that's what I thought I'll add a double socket into the ring, then spur a DP switch and FCU from that. Thanks for the advice.

scrap the FCU. just use the DP switch. then you have an unfused spur, and since its a single socket, the load wont excedd 13A. or if you want it fused, dont use the DP switch

andrew2022 said:
Fran Faulkner said:

scrap the FCU. just use the DP switch. then you have an unfused spur, and since its a single socket, the load wont excedd 13A. or if you want it fused, dont use the DP switch

I meant a switched FCU, rather than a switch and a FCU

Fran Faulkner said:
andrew2022 said:
Fran Faulkner said:

well you should have made it clear what you ment

andrew2022 said:
Fran Faulkner said:
andrew2022 said:
Fran Faulkner said:

well you should have made it clear what you ment

I know - sorry for being in numpty mode :oops:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back