Kudox towel radiators from screwfix

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

The Kudox rads from screwfix instruction book state that 'this product is not suitable for use on direct central heating systems because a central heating protector cannot be added'. (see the pdf from this page: http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/pro.jsp?cId=101234&ts=93992&id=24513#)

I have a Ravenheat combi boiler with no tank/s. Is this a 'direct central heating system?

Can't I add a protector to the top of a rad directly? I remember adding it to the header tank at my old house.

Kudox rads seem to be the only manufacturer that have this disclaimer. Does anyone know this brand?

Thanks in advance.
Steve

Sponsored Links
You are ok with a combi or indirect heating system, which is the norm anyway.
In older systems the towel rail was heated by hot water from a direct system, which is the same hot water coming out of the taps, so you couldn't add inhibitor to this system.

Combi boilers are usually 'Indirect' systems. There is no direct water flow between the heating water and domestic hot water, so you can, even should, use additives.

'Direct' systems circulate the domestic hot water around the radiators to heat them so any additives will end up in your bathtub.

There are systems, eg Primatic, where the flows are seperated, but only by an air bubble in the cylinder. These qualify as 'Direct', as you can't use any additives.

Cheers guys.

These direct systems sound nasty. I can't quite imagine my hot water after flowing through my rad system. Yuck.

Anyway it looks like I'll be okay with the screwfix rad. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
In older properties the towel rail that was off the hot water was usually made of copper to avoid problems with contaminated water :)

I purchased 7 Kudox rads and installed them the same time as my new Worcester Bosch boiler - June 2007. I flushed the system with Sentinel and refilled adding Sentinel inhibitor.
In April one of my rads appeared to have a chip in the paintwork, and then started leaking. I contacted the company that I purchased the radiators from and also contacted Kudox.
Neither parties seemed interested and Kudox were terrible

The experience was shocking, the agent answers the phone without stating the company name and their English was poor. They were rude and dissmissive and claimed I had not flushed my system or put in the correct amount of inhibitor. It took several emails & calls before they eventually sent me two plastic containers, 1 had to be filled with tap water the other had to be filled with water from my system. I did this knowing that all was fine. however, surprise surprise they claim that their analysis found that their was not enough inhibitor in my system and as a result would not be taking any further action.
That is rubbish, the smallest container of Sentinel inhibitor you can buy is enough to protect up to 10 radiators, I only have 7 radiators. In addition to this I had an independent central heating company conduct their own test on my system and they found the correct levels of inhibitor were present in my system. Kudox have written to me stating that they will not be exchanging my radiator, even though they offer a 10 year guarantee. I have contacted consumer direct who are taking up my case but my advice is to avoid Kudox radiators and buy from another manufacturer because Kudox really are a rubbish.

However, I am sure that if I were to buy the same radiator as my faulty radiator from B&Q and then amazingly found a rust spot on that radiator I am sure that they would exchange or even give me a refund... problem solved!!!

away back tae peeing on yer hands

this post is 2 years old!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Kudox Radiators!!! Available at B&Q and that is where I would leave them. I purchased 7 Kudox radiators in 2007, I installed them at the same time as I installed my new Worcester Bosch boiler - June 2007. I flushed the system with Sentinel flush, drained the system and flushed with clean water and drained and refilled system adding the suggested amount of Sentinel inhibitor. In April 2009 I noticed one of my radiators appeared to have a chip in the paintwork, closer inspection found that the radiator was leaking because of a rust spot underneath the paint. I immediatly contacted the company that I purchased the radiators from (Richard Craven in Keighley, Leeds) and also contacted Kudox direct in London SW3. Neither parties seemed very interested and my experience with Kudox was terrible. Right from the outset - from my very first telephone call the experience was shocking, the agent answers the phone without stating the company name barely giving a hello and their English is not much better either, they are rude and were dissmissive of my problem. They immediatley went on the defensive claiming that I had not flushed my system or had not put the correct amount of inhibitor in my system. It took me several emails & phone calls before they eventually sent me two plastic containers, 1 had to be filled with tap water the other had to be filled with water from my system. I did this knowing that all was fine. however, surprise surprise they claim that their analysis found that their was not enough inhibitor in my system and as a result would not be taking any further action. That is rubbish, the smallest container of Sentinel inhibitor you can buy is enough to protect up to 10 radiators, I only have 7 radiators. In addition to this I had an independent central heating company conduct their own test on my system and they found the correct levels of inhibitor were present in my system. Kudox have written to me stating that they will not be exchanging my radiator, even though they offer a 10 year guarantee. I have contacted consumer direct who are taking up my case but my advice is to avoid Kudox radiators and buy from another manufacturer because Kudox really are a rubbish. If you doubt what I am saying about how bad they are then please phone them yourself - 0845 6446654. Utter Cr*p, save yourself a headache.
However, I am sure that if I were to buy the same radiator as my faulty radiator from B&Q and then amazingly found a rust spot on that radiator I am sure that they would exchange or even give me a refund... problem solved!!!

who the fuk's gonna read that ? FFS.

sounds like a load of old garbage
probably wasn't flushed properly in the first place.
anyone can add inhibitor to a system and have the correct dosage don't mean its been flushed fully.

Even if it were insufficiently flushed and dosed, 2 years does seem a bit of a short lifespan, and the manufacturers have yet to explain why the other rads have yet to fail For the sake of PR, am surprised they didn't offer an exchange anyway.

Even if it were insufficiently flushed and dosed, 2 years does seem a bit of a short lifespan, and the manufacturers have yet to explain why the other rads have yet to fail For the sake of PR, am surprised they didn't offer an exchange anyway.

Hi Dextrous,

A single grain of copper is enough to cause corrosion at a single point within hours of the installation. Therefore the other products being ok is not enough indicative of the system being properly flushed.

I have used kudox products in many many installations and found them not only to be reliable but great at customer service as I misplaced some fixing packs and they posted them straight away at no charge.

I think that the fact that bobbiethebrickie has been punished by not bothering to properly flush the system is not enough to rant about a brand and expect them to replace a product which was not properly installed

Hi Dextrous,

A single grain of copper is enough to cause corrosion at a single point within hours of the installation. Therefore the other products being ok is not enough indicative of the system being properly flushed.

I have used kudox products in many many installations and found them not only to be reliable but great at customer service as I misplaced some fixing packs and they posted them straight away at no charge.

I think that the fact that bobbiethebrickie has been punished by not bothering to properly flush the system is not enough to rant about a brand and expect them to replace a product which was not properly installed

Dex is long gone. Have you seen the date of his post? :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back