KW rating of boiler

, I'd be interested to know what benefit a LLH would give me at this stage.

Considering most of us have exhausted ourselves with regard to your issues then maybe JBPHS may want to give you the reasons why with an added bonus being size and specification with regard to the low loss header.

I appreciate any and all advice. But you have to see it from my point of view. A lot of suggestions are made, and (without being an expert) I have to try to decipher what they mean and whether or not they'll be beneficial. Having already experienced "experts" making suggestions and adding bits and pieces without solving the actual issue, whilst costing me money, I thought Id come on here and try to understand the problem Im trying to solve, before jumping head first into solutions I may not need. Im sorry it comes across as though sometimes suggestions are falling on deaf ears (!). I assure you they are not, but I have to take a measured approach to spending money on the advice of others, without knowing whether that advice is going to attain my goals.

Agreed! You've had engineers attempt to solve the problems but failed, so why shouldn't you be cautious?

James

Sponsored Links
Ok, just tried firing up both upstairs and downstairs, and both getting hot simultaneously (!). It's taken a good hour for rads to be hot to the touch, though.

Next on the list may be to ramp up the boiler even further to 30KW or more, but the PITA is making sure this doesnt affect a single zone on it's own, in particular the DHW zone.

S.53 can occur with the 400 series when a slug of cold water enters the boiler when a circuit opens. I solved this on mine (before the boiler died) but mine was only a 418 and I suspect sorting it out on a 438 might be somewhat trickier.

I have no issues with you JPB , the issues I have are when members of this forum "talk the talk" with absolutely no back up regards facts and figures , so enlighten me what have we all.missed and to the point how are you going to solve fezsters issues given the facts so far?

When a customer came to me and said that he had the following issues:
- Ground floor htg, 1st Floor htg and 2nd Floor htg never worked when on together.
- Extension had all rad valves turned off and doors closed to the house as rads never got warm.
- 1st & 2nd Floor htg worked ok on it's own.
- Ground floor heating worked ok on it's own (if rads in extension were still turned off).
I carried out a site survey and ascertained that the above was true, the boiler was a Grant Vortex Pro 15/26, DHW cylinder was 210litres unvented indirect. The boiler was 12m away from the cylinder and the controls. The heat loads were:
- Ground Floor htg, 16kW
- Extension htg, 7kW
- 1st and 2nd Floor htg total, 26kW
- DHW cylinder primary coil, 23kW

I told the customer that he didn't need a new boiler and that he could also keep the boiler set at a max heat input of 23kW. I gave him a price for the works to which he agreed as I gave my word that if it didn't improve the system, he had nothing to pay. Once the work was done 2 years ago, he had (and still has) sufficient heat on all zones inc hot water and straight away he opened up the extension as it could be used for the first time in winter since it was built. This customer has had me back to do various other works at his property and has recommended me to others.

They're the only facts you'll get from me steelmasons. I am not going to back them up with photos of the work as I know people on here will benefit from my hard work over the years, leaving me with nothing to show.

Sponsored Links
combustion chamber its the closed part of this forum, you only get access once your gas safe registration is confirmed.

PMSL only because my gas safe reg has not yet been confirmed doesn't mean I know nothing or that I'm not Gas Safe. I know I am Gas Safe, and that's all that matters boys.

Not saying your aren't gas safe. What is being said is why not join the cc and come chat with all the other gas engineers on the forum, most of whom don't venture into the open section ever!
Its a wealth of information, just drop the billy big b011ox attitude first or not, plenty of ego's on there already :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back