L1B 'Renewal of internal finish to external wall' & 25%

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The phrase "Renewal of internal finish to external wall" appears in document L1B in reference to upgrading the U value of an external wall when the degree of refurbishment reaches the "Renewal of internal finish to external wall" level.

What exactly does this mean?

I take it to mean, if you strip off the plaster. Otherwise on sound plaster you are not restricted by L1B, as adding additional is not really renewal to my mind.

There is also mention of 25% of exterior wall. Does this mean the original exterior wall as it was in 1948/when built? Or the wall as it is now. Since in my case the whole side of the house now has garage below and rooms above.
And does wall mean the whole outer skin, or one facet?

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Can anyone actually see the inside of your external wall, from the outside?

I am currently in the middle of conveyancing, I think it is at this point you're at your most (this kind of) risk aversed!

I am also of the opinion that so long as what you've done isn't very bad and what you've done isn't easy to prove then you're unlikely to get any comeback. However, I'd still like to know what it means.

Ah I see. So this is work already done, and you're concerned a buyer's legal executive might want to see some pointless paperwork? What exactly was done?

Cheers
Richard

Sponsored Links
Ah I see. So this is work already done, and you're concerned a buyer's legal executive might want to see some pointless paperwork? What exactly was done?

Cheers
Richard

No sorry, that was misleading. This is proposed work on a new purchase. I just meant that going through conveyancing and having to sell mine, focuses the mind somewhat.

If I'm surveying for a buyer, finding non compliant work is high on my list.

That's when homeowners who tried to dodge getting the pointless paperwork, regret it.

If I'm surveying for a buyer, finding non compliant work is high on my list.

That's when homeowners who tried to dodge getting the pointless paperwork, regret it.

Ah but, as you haven't answered the question, so does that mean you wouldn't have spotted it? ;)

No, I'd have asked whether work has been done or not, and checked for the tell tale signs regardless.

No, I'd have asked whether work has been done or not, and checked for the tell tale signs regardless.

I've never had anyone come and do a homebuyer's report who has engaged in any kind of conversation at all.

Cheers
Richard

If you just want to add internal insulation, why not do it on the existing plaster? You won't gain much space (but will have a lot of mess) if you strip off the plaster first.

Alternatively, take the plaster off and re-do with insulation. Then go to the nearest police station and hand yourself in. :rolleyes:

If you just want to add internal insulation, why not do it on the existing plaster? You won't gain much space (but will have a lot of mess) if you strip off the plaster first.

Alternatively, take the plaster off and re-do with insulation. Then go to the nearest police station and hand yourself in. :rolleyes:

Well yes that is what I was hoping to do, hence the question as to clarifying what "renewal" means.

I think the plaster is sound though out, but haven't given it an extensive knuckle rap all over yet.

Another point from L1B seems to suggest that if you do a renovation room by room as is typical then each phase is treated separately, hence making the 25% (whatever that is 25% of!!) easier to achieve.

The whole concept of L1b, is that when someone is removing a thermal element (part of a floor, wall or roof) then that is the perfect time to consider improving the insulation.

The "consider" is the operative word. There is no requirement to actually upgrade the insulation, rather the obligation is only do the work if it is feasible, practical and there is a defined payback period. It has to be properly considered though, not just considered and dismissed.

You can't try and be crafty and do a bit at a time. If it all adds up to the 25% surface area of the same elevation, then you should have complied with the requirements of L1b.

Renewal is renewal. If you are taking the plaster off then that is renewal. The wall is what is there now, not at some time in the past. An external wall which has an unheated space the other side of it, is an external wall.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back