Lagging of pipes on the first floor yes/no

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, just installing all pipework for a new boiler install in a house I am doing up. I plan to lag the pipes on the gnd floor that are run under the suspended floor. Should I also be lagging the first floor pipework?

PS pipework is plastic push fit 28mm

Tks

Sponsored Links
Not normally as its not subject to freezing like the ones in the ground floor, dont think youll find many installers that do

Most working practices state you should lag in all unheated areas though

As greemyamochop says, all unheated areas. The underfloor above a heated room can be considered heated. Even if it's insulated to stop sound travel, there's no chance of the cold getting into the house to the extent of freezing those pipes, UNLESS it's already frozen the radiators etc.

If the pipes are in eaves, loft or similar, then certainly - but generally you'd assess each area individually and insulate accordingly.

I have heard tell of folks putting rockwool around plastic pipes to prevent rodent damage, but I think that was just one daft old chap with Certain Ideas.

Sponsored Links
Insulating pipes in floor voids is in the building regs but in reality the extra clearances required if you are using copper and notching joists make this highly undesirable.

Agreed. Buildings regs say do it (how and cold pipes!), but I've never seen it. How long has it been like that in the regs?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back