Laminate flooring putty is darker than tile. HELP!!!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I recently scratched (little deep) a laminate floor tile and was advised by the shop assistant to try a putty to fill the deep scratches. However the putty is too dark for the lighter coloured laminate floor tile. And of course i am not able to remove the putty now so there is a line of dark brown putty on a lighter laminate floor tile.

Does anyone know if there is anything i can use to blend the putty into the same colour as its surrounding colour??? Someone mentioned using cooking oil??

Any help would be appreciated please.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
you can't put stuff on it to make it lighter. Oil can only make it darker.

Can you rub the stuff out with wire wool or something, and re-fill using a paler filler?

wouldnt use wire wool j/d cheaper laminate is literaly a photocopy of the patern coverd with a plastic layer :(

what colour is the laminate "bashme"!!! :D :D

As big says..it all depends on the colour of the laminates. There are "proper" scratch kits of course but I find they are expensive, IMO, at around £20 and include most every colour you can imagine. If you just want the one colour then its a tad pricey.

What I do is use neutral wood filler and mix it with an approximate wood stain/varnish to match. Takes a few goes and patience to get it right but using off cuts I keep it works. Put this in the scratch.

Or I just put the filler in and touch up with the wood stain if I am comfortable with the colour. Its not perfect but even on light coloured laminates it blends in to a decent degree.

However...if in doubt buy the kit...

Sponsored Links
Thanks for replying guys.

The laminate flooring is a light colour. Unfortunately i do not know what the name of the type of laminate is. Kind of an oak effect.

I definitely cannot remove the putty, especially with a wire. I could repeat the initial scratch and then refill with a lighter putty??!!!

However the good thing is that the putty has evened out the deep scratches but now the colour of the putty is showing.

Is there not an equivalent T-cut for laminate floors????

Bashme.

I'd get down on my hands and knees...use a very small watchmakers screwdriver and scratch the putty out as best I could. Then go for the lighter putty/wood filler although I still reckon a thin coat of appropriate stain/varnish applied with the screwdriver again will do a job. You will probably still see the scratch but it might look more than a blemish in the "wood" rather than a scratch.

Its not an exact science as laminate is not as repairable as natural wood....but thats stating the obvious of course... :eek:

I'm sure others will have different ways of repairing scratches that work for them

100% agree with bigall...thats the one I use and yes, on beech its almost a perfect match. I just use some clear varnish to protect the filler but thats it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back