Laminate Idea - Good or bad

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All
Started my laminate flooring in the house and have got about half way in the hall and got as far as the door into the living room. I need to undercut the door jamb and the architrave that is around the door (will not be taking this off for a number of reasons). I was thinking of getting one of those plunge saws for the job as the architrave is right up close to the skirting and I cant see how to cut it without damaging the skirting.
Anyway, the plunge saw will cut this for me so I can get through the door reasonably easily but then I had a thought.
It is worth (and this is just an idea) to undercut the skirting boards? This would mean that I wouldn't have to use scotia which I hate. The plunge saws seem to be right on the money for doing this and the money I would save on the scotia would pay for the tool. I cant take the skirting boards off for many reasons. Has anyone done this before? Undercut skirting?
L

Sponsored Links
Been doing some reading on this one and looks like a bad idea. I think I will have to go the scotia route as the damage from removing the skirting boards will be immense (based on a different room on the house).

On the subject of scotia. I have dark oak wood which I am putting down and cant seem to find any scotia the same colour, do most people use white these days?

Hmmm
What manual tool (saw) can I use to cut architrave in situ? Cant use the saw that I have because it will cut the skirting when I saw it, is there some sort of saw that is sharp and will cut with little movement or do people use a floorboard saw and fill the skirting if it gets damaged?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back