lamp not working

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Apologies for reserecting an old thread but i'm slightly stumped with a a lamp my other half purchased from Barcelona Airport on Sunday. It has a continental 2 pin plug that has 2,5/250 molded on the plug, I'm assuming that this refers to 2.5 amps and 250 volts. I've purchased a euro adapter from Maplin (it is the CP1 variant) and comes fused with a 3amp fuse. I've connected the 2 pin plug into the converter and then screwed in the tamper proof screw and switch the lamp on, but it doesn't work. The bulb is a 40w, 230v Phillips 'Classictone' screw bulb. Now before I go get another bulb or hack the end of the original plug off and wire in a UK 13a plug is there anything else apart from the obvious it's got broken in transit as it worked in the airport before she left. Is a BS1362 13a fuse too much for the appliance as I'm assuming that it's rated to 2.5a and that 3a should be plenty?

Thanks Jon

Sponsored Links
the adaptors are fairly soft plastic so the "tamper proof" screw can be undone if you are firm with the screwdriver.

My first guess would be that the bulb died in transit, second guess would be the fuse in your new converter plug was duff.

do you have a multimeter? If so then you should be able to use it on a resistance range to test the bulb and fuse.

Mods - apologies for not reading the rules, you wouldn't think I',m a moderator on a couple of sports related forums now would you!!!.

I've already tried a new fuse, still no joy, so either somehow it's got damaged in transit or the europlug converter doesn't work. If I cut the old plug off are the wires inside color coded (brown and blue) and do they go the same sides as a uk plug or does it not matter on continental plugs.

Thanks Jon.

Sponsored Links
The wires ill be colour coded. Blue to neutral and brown to live. THREE AMP FUSE. (So many people leave the 13 amp fuse in that 13 amp plugs come with!)

If it is a two wire lead ( i.e. no earth ) without normally colour coded (i.e. brown and blue ) wires the following is common sense.

If there is a switch in the lamp then the wire that goes via the switch should go to LIVE in the plug.

If there is no switch and the bulb is screw in then the wire connected to the thread of the lamp holder should go to the NEUTRAL in the plug with live therefore going to the central contact. ( less chance of touching live when changing the bulb or otherwise handling the lamp ).

Thanks all, there is a 'rocker' style switch of the cord flex and the bulb is a small edison screw. I've already tried a new 3a and 5a fuse going to go out later and get a new bulb, otherwise i'll switch the plugs.

thanks again jon

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back