lamp wiring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I was left two lamps by my grandfather when he passed away. They look as if they have been hard-wired to something at some point as they have no plugs. He was a bit of an expert with electrics, whereas I know very little.

I know the basics of wiring a plug but the problem is that the flex only has two parts to it, not three, and they aren't colour coded. Basically you can see the copper wire through the clear coloured sheath. There is no outer sheath holding the two parts together.

Is is safe to use this flex, and if so, which bit goes where in the plug??

Sponsored Links
Are these light fittings metal, and how old are they....I personally would not use them until they get checked / rewired by some-one qualified.....

To be honest they probably date from the 60's, and yes, they are metal.
My Grandfather made the lamps himself I think.

I guess that means I can't sort this myself.

Metal will almost certainly require earthing, esp. in an old fitting like yours.

it may be best to get them re-wired by a spark, then tested, so that you know they are 100%.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back