landlord gas hob regulation...safety thermocouples

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Could somebody please tell me what the current landlord regulation is regarding gas hobs?

Does the gas hob need to have safety thermocouples in order to comply with current letting regulations?

many thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
the legislation changed recently for hobs/cookers in multi occupancy dwellings ( no relevance to who owns/lives in the property) a gas appliance in a flat etc must have a flame supervision device (not exactly sure if that has to be classed as a thermocouple) but if the appliance is in a house it doesn't need it as long as the people living in the house are all one family, but would require it if the house is split into student flats etc(making it multi occupancy) very confusing but basically it is all to do with communal responsibility/protection, cookers without FSD are potentially dangerous so i wouldn't have a problem if they said starting next year all new cookers must have FSD but they bottled out by saying only in multi occupancy dwellings, therefore a 4 storey semi detached house can have a cooker without protection which could blow up killing all the people in the adjoining 4 storey house, but in a small tenemant flat you need to have one,

Follow on from the requirements of FSDs in multi-occupancy dwellings ...

If you find an appliance in a multi-occupancy dwelling that does not have FSDs plus find another NCS (say no cooker chain), is that 2x NCS = AR and must turn off the appliance? I'm getting conflicting reports from our contractors on this.

I seem to remember from a training course that 2x NCS on any appliance makes it AR. The GIUSP has guidance on multiple NCSs on open-flued appliances, but doesn't seem to give guidance on multiple NCSs on other appliances.

Any help would be much appreciated.

2 "RELATED/CONNECTED" NCS make it AR, ie a flue fault and a vent fault on an open flue appliance would become AR as an undersized vent and a faulty flue could combine to make AR, a cooker connected with a flexi, no chain and unstable would be AR again because if unstable and no chain higher risk of falling over, but say a 13A fuse fitted in spur and and undersized vent 2 NCS's but not AR as neither could have an adverse effect on each other, so your example of no flame supervision and no chain i would leave as 2 NCS and not AR, hope this helps

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back