Landlords gas safety

cheers.

As a budding landlord and budding gasman - i will stipulate that i want a soundness test sorted in the GSC.

The Bermuda BBU (the only appliance-in the kitchen!) should also get serviced at the same time?

Sponsored Links
ALL gas appliances in the landlords property are subject to the safety check so in my book that means a service on the BBU in the kitchen.

chr15 said:
ALL gas appliances in the landlords property are subject to the safety check so in my book that means a service on the BBU in the kitchen.

Agreed chr15, except any new appliances which must be included within 12months.

so if your doin a safety, it has to be serviced?

or are you saying that the amount of checks required to certify safety that you may as well service it as you have carried out most of the service procedure whilst checking its safety.

i'm confusing myself :p :p ......again! :LOL:

Sponsored Links
what does the :p RAZZ :p smiley mean (i was meant to use the :confused: smiley)

Yes doitall, missed that bit out. Bster I always do a service on my gas safety checks cos as you say,you might as well with the amount of work and checks required you are doing a service anyway,possibly more.

I think there is still some confusion.

Nothing HAS to be serviced when a CP12 is done !

The regulations in relation to a new boiler ( or other appliance ) MEAN to say that a new CP12 is not needed just because the new boiler has been fitted. But a new CP 12 is still needed within 12 months of the last one!

The CP12 does not need to be done the day before its due. It can be done on the 10 th January every year.

If new tenants move in on the 10 th June a new CP 12 is not needed but the landlord is required to ENSURE the "gas appliances are in good safe working order"

Tony

a gas tighness test is always something i would do on a gas cert for sure. just as much to watch my own back as much as anything else. i know people that wont bother taking a fire of the wall to check that the flue is ok, check catchment space, check fora damper plate and clear debris. although it can be a pain if the fire was fitted poorly to start with i could`nt sleep at night if i was`nt 100% sure everything is ok.

Just to clarify-I meant I prefer to service the appliance on my CP12's especially if they are older appliances,not that they HAVE to be.

The LGSR is just a record of the state of the installation at the time of the visit.

Many times I've disconnected all the appliances or had the gas turned off by Transco. However since this can be very inconvenient for the tenants remedial work is often done at the time of the vist to keep everyone happy - and that frequently includes servicing (always on open flue appliances) to ensure they "pass".

If a new applicance has been installed in the previous year insist on seeing the benchmark logbook, and GWN paperwork.

There's no need for the discussion on new appliance dates with respect to LGSR's. Renewal of appliances makes no difference whatsoever, it's irrelevant. The requirement is for the next LGSR to be done within 12 months of the last one - up to and including 365 days.

Fwiw I wont do a LGSR without a tightness test, and I won't test a BBU without servicing it, unless I know that there's a BG3* or similar contract.

So when (if) i'm qualified i go to do a GSC and the client says "I dont want the BBU serviced" I would check pressures, spillage, gas rate etc but would not clean the HE or that thing that lints up etc?

What would you not do on a GSC that you would do on a service?

If the appliance requires a service for it to perform safely and correctly and the landlord refuses then issue the LGSR but fill in the safe to use box as "No" and enforce GIUS precedures.

Of course the landlord won't be happy so will then allow you to service the unit.

Remember the cost of the LGSR is just like an MOT and extra work such as servicing is extra.

BBU nearly always require a full service.

ChrisR said:
There's no need for the discussion on new appliance dates with respect to LGSR's. Renewal of appliances makes no difference whatsoever, it's irrelevant. The requirement is for the next LGSR to be done within 12 months of the last one - up to and including 365 days.

Sorry Chris wrong as well.

A new appliance does not need to be included on an LGSR for the first 12 months.

Well I would do whatever I thought needed to be done regardless of what the client says he wants done on the safety check-its up to the RGI on the day to do the checks required and its your decision so if the h/e looks nice and clean then leave alone but if its sooted up then it obviously needs sorting which I would personally do at that time and if it means booking extra time then so be it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back