Landlords safety cert - how much is reasonable?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to get a landlord safety certificate done on a flat in outer SW London. There is a boiler, and no other gas appliances.

British Gas were supposed to be coming to do it for £25, but the service is so shoddy, that I have had to cancel it. I am now looking for a local person to do it.

I have been quoted anywhere between £75 and £150. I was expecting to pay a little bit more than the British Gas price, but is this reasonable/usual.

Any advice appreciated!

Sponsored Links
Thanks. £50-£60 was about what I had in mind. Now I have just go to find someone to do it for that!

I have never heard of BG doing it so cheaply and suspect that is not the case unless other work was involved.

There are some firms doing LSCs for as little as £35 in bulk for big landlords.

Most firms seem to charge £75 to £85 for an individual one off LSC.

We do them for £65 and less for more in the same property but even that price is too much for some landlords so presumably there are people doing it cheaper in the London area.

Be aware that there are quite a few illegal certificates being issued, either by those just filling in the forms you can buy anywhere or using their employers CORGi number when working on the side. Both are invalid if anything goes wrong and could get the landlord into trouble.

You should ask to see the CORGI photo ID card first and carefully check that any business name on it is correct for the person involved.

Tony

Sponsored Links
If that's KT12 I'd do it for £60, east a bit and it might be less, as long as I don't have to collect & deliver keys, park a mile away, wait a month for payment, take my shoes off then climb into the loft to get at the boiler..........

we charge 75 plus vat per property

chrisr thats a steal I will tell my guv about you and you can do all of ours and that greedy sod can cop a tenner ;)

I hate doing them borrring

;)

ChrisR said:
If that's KT12 I'd do it for £60, east a bit and it might be less, as long as I don't have to collect & deliver keys, park a mile away, wait a month for payment, take my shoes off then climb into the loft to get at the boiler..........

Thanks for the offer, but I am in KT6. I should (fingers crossed!) have someone coming to do it tomorrow.

ChrisR said:

I wander if their insurance would pay out if we damaged our feet due to absebse of safety equipent, because mine wouldn't.

It's a liberty expecting us to work unprotected.

Paul Barker said:
ChrisR said:

I wander if their insurance would pay out if we damaged our feet due to absebse of safety equipent, because mine wouldn't.

It's a liberty expecting us to work unprotected.

I for one never leave the house unprotected ;)

on average we charge £65 +vat but that includes servicing as well. None of this walk in and walk out business.

Landlords inspections vary from service, safety checks, remedial advice and services to those who just write out certificates and collect the lowest sums. Therefore a more valid question might be - How much do you value the lives of your tennants and your freedom? This would inevitably lead to seeking a competent gas engineer from where the question of cost can be asked. You will of course be asked to pay more.

For a modernish combi I wouldn't dream of servicing it as part of a LC.
For a back boiler I'd refuse to NOT service it - and the price goes up.

Ah the good old Landlord Back Boiler. Two rubble sacks of soot, and prodding the wallpaper with a small screwdriver to find where the vent was.

I've just had a good idea. Sionce tenants pay for heating they cellotape over vents. Therefore ban open flued and flueless apliances from rented property.

Paul Barker said:
Ah the good old Landlord Back Boiler. Two rubble sacks of soot, and prodding the wallpaper with a small screwdriver to find where the vent was.

I've just had a good idea. Sionce tenants pay for heating they cellotape over vents. Therefore ban open flued and flueless apliances from rented property.

i can't wait for the day when they ban bbu's. They either spill fumes , or not sealed properly or in desperate need need of a service as the dog /cat has been sleeping there for the past year and more or there is no vent for it. Nightmare some times. give me a combi to service anyday.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back