Large gap at back of bath

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on how to raise the back of a bath. The problem we have is the gap at the back of the bath has slowly got larger and larger and is now so large that it has caused the sealant to split. The gap in one corner is now approximately 15mm. I have taken the bath panel off to see what is happening underneath and it would appear there is nothing supporting the bath on the side that sits against the wall. Would it be possible to put a piece of wood in each corner, say to act as legs to support the lip or would that cause to much stress on the floor boards underneath or would it make more sense just to raise the legs on the side that has dropped?... The legs themselves are sitting on 4x2's and seem secure enough. Any ideas or advice would be appreciated ... Thanks in advance ... Caz

Sponsored Links
Best solution is to take the bath out and find out why it's sagging, could be that your joists are sagging if some muppet has notched them to run the waste pipe (not as uncommon as it should be). Whatever the reason though, taking the bath out and reinstalling it is the only real option here...

Thanks for the reply. The joists don't appear to have been touched ... The waste pipe is above the floor boards. It literally seems to be because there is no support on that side of the bath. There is a wooden frame that runs all the way around under the lip of the bath but it doesn't seem to be attached to anything on that side. The side where the bath panel sits is attached to brackets both ends. I don't think there is a problem with the floor boards etc as they appear to be dry, not rotten etc. Taking the bath out is not an option for me as it's a rented property and short of the bath actually coming through the ceiling the landlord is no prepared to do anything as we have already had him take a look and he is convinced there isn't a problem, so I am trying to find a quick, non expensive solution without involving him. Thanks again.

Well if it's not your place I'd leave it be if it's not actually causing you any problems.

Sponsored Links
No not my place but is causing a problem, which is the sealant constantly splits and needs replacing but the gap is so big that even a strip would not stay attached ... As soon as the bath was filled with water the strip pulled off ... Despite the fact that I filled the bath with water before applying the strip and sealant ... Now because the sealant and strip have come off and we are unable to bath or shower as the water will go down the back of the bath and obviously cause damaged to the floor underneath ... thanks for your help and advice, much appreciated

It's a plastic bath

plastic bath fill 1/2 to 2/3 with water then seal as this places the silicon in compression on a full bath and stretch on an empty bath

Why the hell do people put up with this in rentals?

You pay to live there. You have informed the landlord. Fook it. Take some pictures. Send him a letter with copies of them enclosed. State that you are not to be held liable for damage caused by normal usage of something that is in need of serious repair.

Be cautious with the bath for a few days to give time for the letter to arrive (preferably recorded delivery) then s0d it. Why worry?

If he still refuses to do anything. Move out. Surely that is the main benefit of renting rather than buying? Your deposit is held in escrow now too.

Well , if a batton was fixed to the wall for the bath edge to sit on this wouldn't of happened , PLASTIC BATHS ARE ****E. :p

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back