Last wallpaper question - window recess

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just finished lining the walls ready to wallpaper. A decent job thanks to you guys. However I have one last question. On our back wall we have window recess. I took a plum and started the wall as normal. Above window I put a small strip to ceiling and also a corresponding strip under the window to skirting. Followed by the same again. These were seperate pieces as the window was in the way. Now the next full piece at the otherside of window caused a bit troublesome. I butted up to the previous small piece above window and cut into recess etc as normal however when reaching the piece under the window, the new piece overlapped by 10mm.

What went wrong. Ive checked original plum and thats correct. No creases in paper. All other pieces are same width yet something seems to be not level. Luckily this piece went into the corner of room so I spliced through the overlap and all is good but not sure why it happened.

Hope all that makes sense.

Sponsored Links
The short lengths above the window can often run out of plumb because they are so short and especially if the lintel/wall above the window is slightly off level (even just a few mm).
The best way to get around this is to hang bottom pieces first and then ensure that the next full length at the other side of the window is hung to a new plumb line at it's outer edge. The pieces above the window should then be hung and any discrepancies should be spliced/cut out with the infill strip that is usually required above most windows.

Thanks. So saying the paper is 75mm as is the wallrock I used, you mean measure 75mm from the last strip under the window and draw another plum and put the next full pieces outer edge to the plum.

Yes, well, sort of...

Most standard wallpapers expand when wet, so measuring and marking the exact width of a dry piece would mean the plumb line would probably be in the wrong place. What I tend to do is measure the width of a wet piece of paper, mark a plumbline about 5mm past that distance and use a steel ruler to keep the distance to the line consistent when hanging the sheet. With practice, you can start hanging the paper from the bottom upwards (helpful if there is a tricky pattern match to line up) but I would suggest the plumbline method is best for the DIYer.

In theory, you could mark the plumbline to the exact measurement when using Wallrock as it doesn't expand and should line up well, but I wouldn't bank on it. (More likely if you are using the 'paste the wall' method, though). ;)

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back