slight disaster papering around a window

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, have papered 3 of my 9 walls and so far thanks to advice from sparkwright, the pattern looks superb. The corners are great etc.

However, I have had one slight disaster although thankfully it will be hidden by the armchair.

Best pic I can find of describing what I mean is here

http://www.wickes.co.uk/content/ebi...odIdeaLeaflet/wickes-paperhanging-windows.jpg

I started with the full length that part goes round the window as in the pic, near the number 1

Then I had two bits top and bottom as shown by the number 2 in this pic.

Then came to the problem piece, as shown to the left/above the number 3 in this pic. When I came to the other side of the window and went back to a full length, it matched up perfectly with the piece above the window (number 2 in the pic) but was about 1/2 an inch out matching up against the bottom piece and overlapped it slightly.

I even tried another piece on the off chance I stretched it somehow.

The other pieces around the window appear to line up with each other perfectly, there's no noticeable gaps indicating I've put the pieces at a slight angle.

I've scored through where it overlaps so that it lays flat against the wall (no overlap) and as I say, once painted, an armchair will completely hide it.

But there is another same sized window at the other end of the room and I want to avoid this happening again if at all possible.

It's a noticeable pattern and will stand out a mile

http://www.grahambrown.com/us/product/18390/Eden

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
You could try fitting the full lengths by plumbline as usual till you get to the window, and into the recess,
then only hang the shorter lengths under the window.

Then, where a full new length would start draw a new plubline alongside the last short length. Hang the new full length, paying close attention to the join at the bottom.
Then fill in the remaining pieces above the window.

It's possible you may still have an inconsistency in the pattern at the top, but in theory you shouldn't. If there is at least it will be up high.

Take extra care when hanging very short lengths above a window.
Because they are so short it is easy for them to go off the plumbline slightly, which creates havoc at the other end, as well as the pattern going 'downhill'.

For these short lengths it may be worthwhile drawing a plumbline for every piece you hang, as a way of checking. A short spirit level is good for this.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back