Laying a patio, have you used this. . .

Sponsored Links
Very expensive way of doing it, just bed them on a weak mix of sharp sand & cement.

Richard C";p="2035060 said:
Very expensive way of doing it, just bed them on a weak mix of sharp sand & cement.[/quote

I was looking into this and have read that a 4 part grit sand to 1 part cement is ok but how much water should i add.

Sponsored Links
4:1 is far too strong for bedding pavers, 8/9:1 is adequate. Use sharp/course grit sand not soft building sand. How much water you add depends if the sand is dry or wet; you want the mix to be fairly dry/stiff or the pavers will be all over the place.

4/5:1 for natural stone though and i lay them on mortar pretty wet similar to bricklaying type as i find it easier to get a full supported bed.

One side of the paths going to be sleepers 2 courses high. The other is my drive way.

Should the sleepers go in before or after the slabs?

before as you need to dig for the post holes and concrete etc and you don't want to be disturbing your nicely compacted sub-base

I've been advised by someone to use the 5 spot laying method for my path as its easier to get them level. what's people's opinions on this? I know paving expert don't recommend this but after some more views.

It is popular among diyers because as you have heard it is easier to get them level but no professional would do it because it can go wrong and frankly it's a mediocre job. The extra mortar required will not really cost much so why not just do it properly and relax knowing it will be solid for years to come rather than hoping that we don't get a few more winters like last years and it'll be all over the place.

Have a search through old threads to see about spot bedding

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back