Laying MDPE

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I have tried to find answers to these... but Cant. Promise!

I am on the commom lead pipe replacement scheme with United Utilities and am laying the mdpe pipe myself. I have dug the trench, I have the pipe, mechanical stop end but am a little stuck with the ducting that is required as the pipe enters my property. I have a suspended floor and require 100mm ducting. Can I just use brown soil pipe? I cant find anything else that size to use? If I use soil pipe when I pass through to under the house then a 90 or 45 bend and more soil pipe into the crawl space is this right?

For the selant at each end I can of course do a quick mortar mix... but will it not affect the mdpe pipe? Didnt think the two should mix?

Also, the insulation in the instructions is described as having to be "Water resistant closed cell tubular design". Does that just mean the grey Climaflex pipe?
http://www.diy.com/diy/jsp/bq/nav.j...refview=search&ts=1270585971615&isSearch=true

Many thanks,

Sponsored Links
i dont do any mains insallation work, but from recalling studies, it will normally need to be buried between 750-1300mm till it enters the property (stop it freezing) should be sleved as it comes up the ground ino the property to stop it freezing.

if you just place it in soil pipe it in the floor void it could freeze. infact i'm guessing you are brining it from the front into the house at the front of the house.....do that as described,...stop tap and drain....accesible panel....then run it in the void to where u like...but insulate it properly

the part about placing it in 100mm pipe is so it can be pulled out if damaged and to protect it from damage...sometimesalso filled in with insulation balls

Thanks for the quik reply.

The pipe is coming in at the front of the house but the exsisting stopcock and pipe runs are in the middle so was going to run the pipe on the floor of the crawl space in climaflex to where I will put a new stopcock and eventually join my internal pipes.

I understand the pipe would have to be insulated inside the 100mm ducting as it enters the house... was thinking of again using climaflex?

Just put a 4" sleeve in to anywhere. Run the pipe through to wherever you like and lag with Climaflex or better Armaflex. Clip up with all round band (galvband) Don't worry about the sealing of the sleave. Fill it with expanding foam if you like.
The guys who fit the pipe will not care if it is wrapped in an old blanket, believe me. They will not look or give a fk. Do you really think they will have a crawl under your floor?

Sponsored Links
I've just laid 3 new supplies into my flats project house. I followed the water regs guidelines for depth, sand bed and duct etc, and applied to my water company who are supposed to inspect the trench and pipes therein.

They didn't even bother to come and look!

At least I have the satisfaction of knowing that I did it to the regs. :)

I had to get my new pipes under a garden wall and up to a higher level to the meter positions and used a couple of pieces of 100mm soil pipe and a long bend so it was easy to poke the 3 pipes around the bend. Insulation not needed as it was all below 750mm.

Now actually getting the connections is a different story. So far I've been waiting since mid-November whilst the water company bumble about not appearing to care about their customers! T*ssers!

Hi Wazz! Unitied Utilites supply a sketch of the requirements. My mdfe pipe had to enter property 750mm below ground level and be in 100mm ducting, It had to be insulated within the ducting with armaflex (which I dont think is available anymore).
100 mm ducting is available in straight lengths (3 metres) easily cut with hacksaw, also 90 and 45 degree bends. I used a 45 degree bend
The place to go is CW Berrys of Leyland. or check out the web site

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back