Laying new grass for the first time, a few questions!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all.

I am about to lay some new turf for my sister and I was hoping for some advice as I've never done it before.

I have ripped out the old grass, and dug up the soil and chopped it up a bit with a fork so it is not so flat and compacted. The thing is, there are a lot of stones in the soil, and I'm not sure what to do about them. All the guides I have read say to remove the stones, and I have taken most of the very big ones out, but there are loads of smaller ones remaining. Do you have any tips on how to proceed? Is it really necessary to have all the stones taken out because in reality this is not going to be possible.

I would appreciate any help with this problem and any other tips you might have.

Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
Don't worry about anything under 20mm, buy or borrow a proper turf rake it will make getting a good tilth so much easier.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back