Preparing soil for turf

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all.

I am near the end of my process readying the soil to lay turf, removing weeds, stones etc up to 20cm deep. A long slog with a fork and spade!

I am adding some top soil to the existing soil. Should I walk over the current soil and compact it prior to adding the top soil, or add the top soil first and then compact the soil?

Many thanks, Paul.

Sponsored Links
Either way, there will be a fair amount of compaction when you lay the turf, you will be able to control the flatness better with the former if that’s sn issue

Hi all.

I am near the end of my process readying the soil to lay turf, removing weeds, stones etc up to 20cm deep. A long slog with a fork and spade!

I am adding some top soil to the existing soil. Should I walk over the current soil and compact it prior to adding the top soil, or add the top soil first and then compact the soil?

Many thanks, Paul.
If you're going to tread it down then best to lay a plank across the surface before you start - spread the weight more evenly. (y)

Sponsored Links
Whistling a merry tune as you go. :mrgreen:
That was boring …job done though! Thank you.

Can I just ask you please, once I have added top soil, do I need to fully compact the soil to lay turf, or do I need to compact it then rake a top layer back for the turf?

I think it’s the former, just want to make sure I’m right.

Many thanks

Can i assume you don't have access to a search engine?
Maybe ask @ellal ... he knows all about planks.

I did my lawn a few years back and walk back and forth on my heels in very small steps. You look silly but it is the way to do it in my opinion. Then rake over the surface to get a nice level for the turf. Use a plank when laying the turf and don't walk on it for a few weeks after.

It will settle over time and hollows appear so I just fill with soil and over-seed

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back