Turf Preparation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I apologise for the number of threads I have started in this group.

Next Fri/Sat I am laying turf ... It is currently turned over and raked. Tomorrow my mother is helping remove any stones/twigs. A couple of weeds popped up recently so I sprayed some of them with resolva. I will dig them up tomorrow too. Do I need to worry about the soil holding the weedkiller?

I am getting 2000L of top soil on third to put down before the turf to fill any holes and to help the turf settle in.

Do I need to do anything else to prepare?

Sponsored Links
just laid 200sqm of rowlawn turf , took me two days

22 tonne of topsoil

rake out the soil evenly i used an old wooden pallet with some rope tied to it and dragged it round the garden to level it off. remove any stone`s on the surface

pull out the weeds by hand , mix lawn establishment fertilizer in to the soil and rake with a fine rake just before you lay it.

Thanks John,

Blimey! That's a lot of topsoil most of the ground is at the level I want... It a a sloping lawn so I used a rake to level then a large rake to make even better. There is only a small area where I need a few inches of soil so I am hoping 2 bulk bags will be enough. Most of the soil is pretty good... Not like clay! So the top soil won't go everywhere if that makes sense?

Thanks John,

Blimey! That's a lot of topsoil most of the ground is at the level I want... It a a sloping lawn so I used a rake to level then a large rake to make even better. There is only a small area where I need a few inches of soil so I am hoping 2 bulk bags will be enough. Most of the soil is pretty good... Not like clay! So the top soil won't go everywhere if that makes sense?

yep took me over a week to prepare the ground by hand

ground was all clay so no soil at all :eek:

it does not go that far once you start raking it out

Sponsored Links
Cheers John.

I did a bit more levelling earlier, removed big lumps and stones etc. I also added some fertiliser. This is how the 2 areas look.

View media item 82967
View media item 82966
Dobi need to be worried that I sprayed some weedkiller at the weekend affecting my turf?

as long as it wasn't a specific path weedkiller which may have a residual effect it will be fine.

It should say on the label.

Cheers John.

I did a bit more levelling earlier, removed big lumps and stones etc. I also added some fertiliser. This is how the 2 areas look.

View media item 82967
View media item 82966
Dobi need to be worried that I sprayed some weedkiller at the weekend affecting my turf?

looks level enough for turf as long has there are no hollow bits

what are doing with the steps

It was resolva weedkiller which is biodegradeable. It does say it would kill lawn but I think that's if you spray the leaf....

I am going to slab the steps.. need some type 1 first though

Top soil was delivered today... Used half the bag leveling this area out.... Looking better. Hopefully it will rain to help it settle. A bit more needed to make the edges flush before the turf goes on!

View media item 83006

R896neo, it says it ia biodegradable and can be replanted once dry so hopefully the new turf should be fine :)

Just thought I would add some final pictures for completeness. It is over 3 weeks since it was laid. It has had 2 cuts on highest setting.... Weather has been good for turf growth. A few mushrooms popping up which should die away soon.

Let me know your thoughts

View media item 84223
View media item 84222

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back