Laying Out Bathroom

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

Forgive me in advance for my info-graphic pedantry. I would like to get this right - so I am preparing. ;)

layingout.jpg

As per image above, the bathroom is quite compact (1.8m x 2m) and the basin and toilet are on this window wall as is the bath end (when the bath goes in).

The new bath can be 515mm - 535mm height which means that I should be able to get the run around the bath at full tile and also get flush with the window on a full tile. Also, the basin should be pretty much on a full tile.

I will be tiling the lower half of the wall fully (aside from behind the bath itself. The sill and reveals will also be tiled.

Does this look ok? I am assuming that it's best to go for less cut tiles around features?

Also, the walls have been freshly plastered - so I am right in thinking we need SBR bond (as a bonding coat or primer?) rather than PVA?

Thanks for any advice!

Sponsored Links
not all walls run true so starting with a full tile from the bath is not good practise,you might find the tiles run high or low,so when you get round to the window you could have problems...

fit your bath first get level and use some 2x2 treated to help support it to wall...

then you will look to get a good datum line above the bath and laser it around the room and see how it looks..you may have to mess about for a bit to get one thats more siutable for all round the room...

leave all other white goods off the walls and tile away...

look to get even cuts around your window{this is the centre peice off the room]..then walk tiles into either corner to see how your cuts are....

is your bath butted up against the window wall?..just asking cos looks like you wont be able to use shower screen..shower curtain looks the only option...

Thank you for the reply.

I was looking to work out from the window and use either a grout line on the centre or the centre of a tile to work out from - depending on what gives the best corners.

It was a bit of a coincidence that the window sill and bath top could run on full tiles.

It is the head end of the bath - but it does not butt up against that wall as we have an angled wall - I was going to box in and tile the gap.

Below is a rough plan I knocked up on an online drawing tool!
bathroom.png

centre your window and take tiles into corners and if small slithers the yes use centre tile...

you will look to getting a full tile wrap round in corners[or close as].. then seeing how it works in other 2 corners...just mess about with the tiles to see whats best for the corners and best on the eye..dont forget how the cuts are at floor and ceiling level...this is where your datum line comes in..so be careful dont just jump in with full tile off the bath..

use the proper adhesive for the type and size off tile yer fixing mate...

its all in the preperation.. ;)

best of luck.

Sponsored Links
I am only tiling one tile above the border, aside from the shower end and part of the bath wall which will be up to the ceiling. I was gonna work out my bottoms and tops for cuts - I want to avoid any slithers if possible.

I have 15cm x 15cm tiles and the adhesive I have is from nicobond. They sold me the tiles and the adhesive so it better be right! I have powder grout from them too.

Another question for you if I may:

I have 2mm spacers. However, I watched a video yesterday and some dude was suggesting 4-5mm spacers for even this size tile. Surely 2mm is about right?

lots off tiles will say....150mmx1500mm
250mmx200mm
600mmx300mm
..ect..ect

but if you measure them they will be 2mm or 3mm shy....

if so you will use either a 2mm or 3mm spacer peg to get to the size..
on the box it will...lets say 150mmx150mm....but some will also say

....working size...147x147 or 148x148...

not all tiles tho...

but min for walls will be 2mm spacer peg
for floor usually min 3mm dependant on floor contruction and how good the tile fixer is... ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back