Lead Flashing on Double Roman Tiles

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi. Can anyone give me some advice on how to lead flash my New Project
Lean-to roof. Have tried to do the flashing but when I insert the lead into the
mortar gap and fix with lead wedges, I then start to tap out over the ridges of the double roman tiles, the lead just pulls out of the wall at each end and makes the lead strip into a curve. The pieces of lead are about 1 - 1.5 in length.
Any help would be much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
It's just practice really , you are essentially stretching the lead and it will be easier to work if it's warm. Try running a gas burner or even hbot air gun over it prior to dressing and only wedge it when its all shaped to fit.

You need to get a bit more nasty with your wedging. I use a bolster chisel to compress the lead into the joint.

However, only get nasty if there is plenty of 'meat' above the brick joint, i.e. don't for example try this when dressing lead under a window sill!

You can form the lead into shape by dressing it into a sacrificial tile on the ground before taking it onto the roof.

Make sure you have plenty inserted into the brickwork, put plenty of plugs in tight!
When you dress the lead put one hand on it above where you are dressing this lessens the shock higher up.. practice!

Sponsored Links
Hi all,

I'm about to do the same, namely 'dress' lead that's fixed in the wall, onto double romans. The only other time I've attempted it, the sheet bent like a banana - as the lead went into the valleys of the double romans.

This time, the lead is well fixed into the brickwork. Before I start, how can I ensure the lead s-t-r-e-t-c-h-e-s into the valleys, instead of just flexes down into them?

Is a lead dresser the best tool to use?

I'm concerned about breaking the lead, or the tiles!

Ta...

You need to carefully work the lead with bossing sticks and dressers, ie dress down the wall and you then transfer the lead over the tiles, trying to keep the same thickness and avoid thinning the lead.

As previously said a bolster to hammer in the lead wedges, or I find the blade of a plugging chisel gets a more tighter fit, finish with lead mate.

You can get ( Morton Clips ) to use instead of lead wedges.

They make a special flashing colour co-ordinated if you like, to suit big contoured tiles much easier.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back