Lead pipes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
How do I tell where the mains pipe comes from i.e. the route it takes to my sink. I don't have the blueprints for the house, it was built circa 1890, would the planning office have the building plans.? I've arranged a lead test for next week and even if it's a reading withn legal regs, in the long term I presume I'll need to replace the pipes with modern materials. Cheers

Sponsored Links
Your local water authority have devices that can detect your underground pipes, and will also be able to find your street stopcock for you.
Records may be held but in my experience its unlikely!
John :)

No need for a new pipe to follow exaxctly the same route as the existing.

The route may be totally impractical anyway, especially if the pipe was put in, then the house built on top of it.

Plans, if available, would only tell you where the pipe should be, not where it is!

Sponsored Links
Best to have a look outside adjacent properties for stop cocks. This may give a clue to yours
Sometimes one outside stop cock may cover a few terraced houses and may be found at the end of the terrace. The lead pipe may run through all the rear gardens/yards with a branch off for each property.
In my case a new mains pipe had been laid, so it was a matter of laying new pipe ready with internal stop cock to make the connection and also removing and making good the last metre of the old pipe

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back