Leak above window

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I was wondering what people thought was causing a leak I have:

Yesterday we had a few hours of rain right onto the house wall with strong winds. The rain was torrential. There was quite a leak on the inside of the lower window shown (you can see the bucket where the water was dripping into). I am pretty sure it was seeping through the brickwork above the bucket - This window is in the basement - and the floor above corresponds with the damp bricks running horizontally.

I dont think there is a cavity?

We have had the house about 1 month and the house was built around 1890.

There are a few cracks in the bricks (one to the right of the window above) and the bricks are "flaky"

Is it possible for water to leak through the wall like this? Or is there a chance it is a chimney issue? There are patches of damp on the chimney breast inside the house which is to the right of the picture.

There is damp on the slabs on the floor in the basement which is another issue.....!

Thanks

Matt

imag0544m.jpg

imag0544m.jpg

imag0542h.jpg

Sponsored Links
You can do your own test on a dry day with the hose pipe, and if it still dry look at your roof.

Cut one of the bricks out above the lintol and check if it does have a cavity, might want cavity trays fitted above lintols.
It looks like a chunk of stone is missing from the bottom edge of lintol, this is where the drip would have been, ( a small groove running near front under side of lintol.
Check for any missing pointing.

I'd say that is defo running down between the stone front and the leaf behind. It may not be much of a cavity as such but will let water run down. Check the roof at the wall plate when it rains (from in the loft).

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the help so far. I'll do a bit of "digging" to see if it is a cavity issue.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back