leak following new combi boiler installation

Thankfully a very rare problem for us, but that is more by luck than by judgement.

Any problems have tended to materialise in the first few weeks. Any7 weak points are going to go pretty soon with all the pressure fluctuations during a 24 hour day. Pressure in some areas can spike at night to quite alarming levels.

No point losing sleep over it. Just be aware of where your stop cocks are ;).

Phew as long as any problems are apparent sooner rather than later. I'm in the process of redecorating the whole flat so I don't want to be in a position where it all comes undone later on down the line.

I think maybe they checked the bath taps for leaks but forgot to check shower!

Sponsored Links
Thanks everyone for your answers.

Had the boiler guys round today and it turned out the shower was leaking behind the control unit and into the wall!

Taking into account I have only been here for a couple of months, my guess is that this was an ongoing and undetected problem. The previous owner would have been unaware of the leak as the water tank was in front of it and more than likely drying it out!

I was aware that there was a slight leak from the control unit dripping onto the bath and I had been discussing having a new cartidge installed with the boiler guys - but had no idea that it was leaking through the wall until the other day!

All sorted now. They fitted a new cartridge and re-plumbed the bath taps so fingers crossed there shouldn't be a leak!

Really happy now :D

Sponsored Links
Nicely sorted I hope....just keep an eye on the boiler pressure (usually between 1 and 2 bar) and see that it remains constant.
This has nothing to do with the domestic hot water, only the central heating but if the pressure does drop, the boiler gets huffy and refuses to play.
John :)

Nicely sorted I hope....just keep an eye on the boiler pressure (usually between 1 and 2 bar) and see that it remains constant.
This has nothing to do with the domestic hot water, only the central heating but if the pressure does drop, the boiler gets huffy and refuses to play.

Hi John, they did tell me also to keep an eye on it. Probably because I asked what I should be looking for to indicate there may be a problem whether be it with the boiler or with leaks to come!

As nice as they were, they cost me too much money everytime they come round!! Ha ha.

Well, there's a couple of things here.....a new boiler has been fitted, therefore there could be some air remaining in the central heating system.
Also, disturbed plumbing means fresh water in the system which could mean a small production of air too - so, it may be necessary to bleed the radiators on occasion, and if thats done, some fresh water will need to be introduced via the filling loop, just to keep the pressure stable.
Worry ye not! Hope its all working well.

Well, there's a couple of things here.....a new boiler has been fitted, therefore there could be some air remaining in the central heating system.
Also, disturbed plumbing means fresh water in the system which could mean a small production of air too - so, it may be necessary to bleed the radiators on occasion, and if thats done, some fresh water will need to be introduced via the filling loop, just to keep the pressure stable.
Worry ye not! Hope its all working well.

When you say fresh water viaa the filling loop, he was doing something with the flue... I guess I won't find out about the central heating now until it gets a little colder.... watch this space!

If the pressure on the gauge remains stable Jan, then relax......the reading will be slightly higher than before when the heating cuts in.

If the pressure on the gauge remains stable Jan, then relax......the reading will be slightly higher than before when the heating cuts in.

well fingers crossed, i'm sure it will be fine! i think they've seen enough of me now lol.

Different types of ball valves are used in toilets according to low or mains pressure supplied.

I always replace the ball valve in toilets as part of the installation when converting to mains operation with a combi boiler as that's the correct thing to do.

Many others apparently don't and presumably seek to make a bit extra if/when they leak.

Tony

Different types of ball valves are used in toilets according to low or mains pressure supplied.

I always replace the ball valve in toilets as part of the installation when converting to mains operation with a combi boiler as that's the correct thing to do.

Many others apparently don't and presumably seek to make a bit extra if/when they leak.

Tony

thats interesting... yes it did leak and i did pay extra!!

As an add on I would charge £35 for replacing most high level ball valves!

Bottom entry can be a pig and I would hope to charge £55.

Tony

As an add on I would charge £35 for replacing most high level ball valves!

Bottom entry can be a pig and I would hope to charge £55.

Tony

i cant remember how much they charged extra for plumbing works... i would have preferred it to be replaced. as it happened i discovered the leak on day 2 of boiler installation lol.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back