leak from roof

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Could someone offer some advice to help me fix a leaky roof?

I found a damp patch in the top corner of my bedroom wall on the second floor of a Victorian house. This is an external wall so I climbed up to check it out. I removed the guttering which was attached to a bit of timer. I could then see that there is a black membrane laid under my roof tiles and it's draped over the edge of the guttering. But this membrane has crumbled over the damp area. Consequently, that bit of wall was wet. How should I fix this?

Sponsored Links
The membrane at the eaves has perished, you should check the roof covering, tiles/slates above for any missing,broken etc find the cause of water ingress.
Clean gutters make sure outlets are clear.
And fit these. http://www.manthorpe.co.uk/Building/Products/Roof-Ventilation/Felt-Support-Trays.html[/QUOTE] Thanks Alastair. Is the product you recommend? http://www.screwfix.com/p/felt-supp...d Joinery-_-Felt Support Tray 1.5M Pack of 5#

I cut off and removed part of the timber fascia board to inspect the damage. Am I correct in assuming that I need to remove the remaining fascia and replace it with a new piece of timber? Or should I just replace the missing bit and seal the joint? What sort of timber should I use?

Sponsored Links
I got the felt support tray and it works well apart from where the felt has perished the most, where the leak is. Unfortunately the person who installed the guttering shoved it under a bit of the leading so water has come through. So in that spot the felt perished 50cm in so a large part of it isn't supported by the tray.

I plan to take the other guttering off and replace it with a new one and I can then sort out the leading so fix the leak. I'd be grateful for advice on how to fix the perished felt problem given that the tray wont support the entire section of the perished felt.

You should strip the roof as far back as the felt is perished and renew the felt

Those black strips look like over fascia vents! best to re fit them on new boards.
Type 1f is tar based non breathable felt but if the rest of the roof is done with that carry on.

OOPS just read the link..breathable membrane, all the better :LOL:

It looks like the job is too big for me. I need someone to come have a look and give me a quote. I'd like them to replace two fascia boards (3m and 1.5m long) and and guttering. The perished felt also need replacing and the leading fixed to repair my leak. How much roughly should this sort of job like this cost? How do I go about finding a roofer that can do a good job?

In London - god help you - the roofing game is riddled with Dale Farm residents ;)

And the Poles should stick to dancin'. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Yes. I am aware that it's hard to get a decent roofer in London. I was hoping that someone could recommend a good and reliable roofer. Can anyone help?

If the roof was 100% then you should not have had rain in..felt or no felt.
Yes. I am aware of that. It's possible that one of the roof tiles is cracked buy I cant see it. That's why I'm looking for someone who can have a look and fix the problem.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back