Leak in a radiator

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I have just notice a leak in one of my radiators at home with the water that has leaked looking a browny rusty colour. Could you tell me the reason why this has happened.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Where is the leak exactly, is it from the seam where it has been welded or from one of the points where the fittings connect?

Thanks for the reply nstreet. The leak is coming from the base of the radiator. The things is that I bought a water softener 2 years ago and since then the radiators have been nice and hot.

The leak is coming from the bottom of the radiator near the middle. So it is not from the ends of the radiator.

Sponsored Links
suggest u look and find where the leak is coming from properly and then come back to the forum with a bit more detail

Not sure why all the analysis here. If you have a leak in your rad and the water is brown and rusty, then its rust. Replace the rad, flush your system out and put a cleaner in (Fernox MB40), flush again after a week or thereabouts and put an inhibitor (Fernox MB1) in the system.

not sure .... he might have a leaking rad valve, could he not ? thats why i thought a bit more info could help us help him

Thanks for your replies everyone.
Bathjobby, when you said flush the system did you mean draining the water out from the system to remove the water and turn the heating back on or did you mean power flush.

I will quickly brief you on what has happened with our system to help understand what may have caused the problem. We power flushed the system four years ago to remove sludge. We have had leaks in the past and have had to replace five radiators. Then I bought a water softener to help in the reduction of sludge and added an inhibitor Fernox to the system. Radiators that have not previously been replaced have leaked. So I am not sure whether this is due to the effect of previous sludge in the system that has effected these old radiators.

I know where the leak is coming from in the radiator. In fact it is difficult the notice in general when a radiator leaks. I noticed the leak because it stained the carpet. I presume the rust on the radiator is not due to the water itself but due to the chemical reaction of water and oxygen. However when I blead the radiator, the water was light brown in colour indicating some dirt in the system. The leak is right at the bottom of the radiator in the middle by the seam (ie. where the thickness of the radiator is the least)

I had a problem with leaking rads and so far this year I have replaced 8 of them, and will be doing the remaining 4 this week when the new rads are delivered. The leaks have all been pin holes rusted through, despite inhibitor being installed. I put it down to the age of the system (25 years). Despite draining and flushing a couple of years ago sludge is still present in the older rads so changing them solves that problem.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back