Leaking Boiler

BM

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've recently moved into a property which has a combination boiler. The boiler has been working well, I had to drain the radiators, after that the boiler was still working without fault. Only recently has the boiler been leaking. It leaks from the underside, from a hole, its not a lot of water but it is fairly constant dripping.
The other day (after it had started dripping) the isolator fuse went on the boiler; I replaced this and the boiler worked again. There is nothing obvious causing this dripping and it doesn't appear to be stopping the boiler from working but I am just concerned because it obviously isn't right!
Any advice would be most welcomed.

The boiler is: OPTIMA 701, FERROLI.

Thank you

Sponsored Links
Only recently has the boiler been leaking. It leaks from the underside, from a hole, its not a lot of water but it is fairly constant dripping.

What do you mean by 'hole'?

Try to describe more accuratley. Boilers should not have any holes that leak in them :eek:

All I can say is that it is a hole just off centre at the rear on the underneath of the boiler; probably 1/2" in diameter...sorry I can't be more specific...there isn't anything going in or coming out of this hole!

you will need to have a look inside to get an idea at the moment it sounds like it is just collecting in the base tray.

Sponsored Links
Maybe the safety valve pipework is not plumbed in and the expansion vessel is low on pressure. What does the pressure gauge show when the boiler starts leaking?

I believe that it does have something to do with the pressure as the pressure has been dropping and I've had to keep topping the pressure up. I wouldn't say that it conincides directly with the boiler leaking though. What would you suggest to test the expansion vessel?

This is an image of the hole if that helps!

Thanks[/img]

if you can remove the -white part wiht the hole in it- on the photo, you should be able to see better where the water comes from.
make sure the electricity TO the boiler is switched off

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back