Leaking bottom Rad Pipe.

if your sure it wont seal by tightning it then the safest will be to drain down.

Do you mean turn the boiler off....Undo the pipe and drain into a dish/Bucket...Fix Olive...tighten up and turn boiler back o?

Capeesh?

Sponsored Links
no.

u say the leak wont stop after trying to tighten it up. i was checking that this is the case.

if so then u will have to drain down.

turn the boiler off. find a drain point on the pipework somewhere....normally near tha rads , attach a hose and turn the square end bit.
water should flow out.
when the water slows down, open the upstairs bleed valves on the rads to alow air in the system, which in turn will allow more water out.
when the system is empty undo the trv nut, check it looks about right and apply some ptfe to the olive....6 turns ?
place it back in place tighten up. close bleed keys and square end bit by the hose. go to the boiler and fill the system back up via the filling loop

(have a look at faq on how to fill up system)

by the way as previuosly mentioned dont ptfe the thread. it will do something, it will stop you tightning the nut up properly

i cant find the drain point to drain the system........its not on the pipework and i remember him power flushing somewhere at the boiler........

Sponsored Links
well check all the pipework that you can see. by the way..i take it your checking downstairs !!

some rad valves have built in drain points...

it would be most unusual not to have a drain point somewhere.

powerflushing connection point is unrelated

well check all the pipework that you can see. by the way..i take it your checking downstairs !!

some rad valves have built in drain points...

it would be most unusual not to have a drain point somewhere.

powerflushing connection point is unrelated

Ive checked everywhere...........Its probably me being daft.........

There is a tap at the boiler that runs down to a pipe...with an open end...

I'm wondering if this could be the drain point...??

do a search for drain off valves and than look for one on any of the downstairs pipework. in a corner ? under the rad..just floow the pipe.
it will be a small fitting with a 1 inch tube shaped part that invites you to fit a hose to it.

the way i usually find drain valves is to look at the property from the outside. if it is a house or a ground floor flat look for a drain valve at ground level . It looks like a small tap with a tiny square handle.

if your flat is not ground floor, then go outside and look for a (normally) 15mm pipe coming out the wall. if you see one then you have narrowed down the position.

unfortunatly these valves are often found under the floorboards, which means lifting a board.

if you dont see anything like that then look for one at the locksheild side of a downstairs rad http://www.screwfix.com/search.do;j...PCFFI?_dyncharset=UTF-8&fh_search=drain+valve

let us know how you go.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back