Leaking outside tap

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have an outside (in my garage) that is leaking from the top on the screw.

First two pics are the current tap.

I’m thinking beat to just change the tap? Looking to order one but is this the just the standard one like the amazon picture please?

Thanks for your help!

Paul.

Attachments

• 0CAF892B-D12A-4D4F-A3CC-AE10CC231C68.jpeg
    0CAF892B-D12A-4D4F-A3CC-AE10CC231C68.jpeg
    258.1 KB · Views: 154
  • 80D255CD-BF9B-4D78-BB0A-4C4A446CA4FA.jpeg
    80D255CD-BF9B-4D78-BB0A-4C4A446CA4FA.jpeg
    251.1 KB · Views: 124
  • 47B98056-7783-4614-BF4E-D1D98AE3D103.png
    47B98056-7783-4614-BF4E-D1D98AE3D103.png
    317.5 KB · Views: 115
Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
It sounds like it's leaking around the spindle in which case it just needs the gland nut tighting down or re-packing otherwise...

If the plumbings been done correctly there should be a double check valve feeding the tap on the inside so check first.
A check valve in the tap often freezes and fails which is why the water regs stipulate it should be inside.
If there's no checkvalve inside then by all means get a checkvalve tap but protect it from freezing.
A checkvalve is required to prevent contamination of the drinking water by backflow (there are recorded incidents...one regarding a poison being syphoned back from a watering can AFAIR).

which is why the water regs stipulate it should be inside.

Only for new installations. I only suggested one with a check valve as a belt and braces approach, not much difference in price anyway.

Only for new installations. I only suggested one with a check valve as a belt and braces approach, not much difference in price anyway.

I thought the wording was more where practicable to be inside, if renewing or replacing? Yes to prevent backflow/back siphonage from ponds as well. If you can get one on that pipework, then I’d fit one inline.

The point being he may already have a double check valve inside the property and it would be futile to fit a tap incorporating one.

The point being he may already have a double check valve inside the property

I do agree with that but it is a DIY forum. You can get one with a DC valve from Screwfix for the same price as the one without on Amazon. It will do no harm fitting the DC valve one.

Oh FFS. He might already have a double check fitted on the pipework but you seem to be advocating he just shoves a double check tap on for want of not checking the existing setup.
I've lost count of the taps I've replaced whereby the doublechecks have frozen and are stuck solid for evermore.

It’s in the garage guys! No chance of freezing :).

ive ordered the first one recommended. Hope that is still correct :LOL:.

Really...when it's -8 outside there's every chance water will freeze in my uninsulated draughty garage

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back