Leaking Overflow on Valliant Vantage VIH C120

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I enquired recently about a leakiing overflow on my Valliant Vantage Hot water cylinder VIH C120.
I represurised to 4 bar as instructed and it seemed to do the trick, however, after a week away over xmas, and the hot water turned off I returned to the same leak
Surely these is a qualified someone who KNOWS these systems who would be prepared to travel to Tower Bridge to assist, I have cash, and am happy to pay, does anyone know anyone who is prepared to do what I cannot, :rolleyes: and fix this leak?
FYI Valliant will not send an engineer to do cash work, as they are turning this work away and recommending plumbers who, as of this day, have been as useful as a chocolate teapot, help required please.

Sponsored Links
Haven't read your previous. Not familiar with Vantage but assume from your post it has a seperate vessel. Can you remember the pressure test procedure? Cold supply off, hot tap open, tyre guage? IF the pressure has gone again (your leak should not be continuous and only occur when unit is being heated if thats the case) then its likely the vessel itself needs replacing. If its leaking when not heated it will be down to the pressure reducing valve, or more likely the expansion valve itself.
Have any of the recommended choccy teapots actually looked at it?

Hi Brentwood

Yes, repressure proceedure was followed as indicated, and the overflow only seems to leak when it is cold?
Of the 3 aforesaid choccy teapots to arrive, one, who arrived 6 hours late and with wife and kid!, tried to convince me it was a boiler and NOT a hot water cyclinder, and proceeded to call his "mate" who would know, I told him not to bother, the others were not called to look at the overflow, but did spend extensive time on the phone to Valliant. ( I had to replace a board)
Are you interested in a trip to the "South Side"? I am happy to pay, just want to get this solved.

Hy mate I charge travelling so im out of reach . Isnt the Vantage a mains fed square water tankstore that is used in conjunction with a Valliant wall boiler that looks like an old combi but is'nt. They hav a blue potable expansion vessal that lasts about 4/5 yrs. if its the cylinder over flowing that u fixed by repressurerising then it just wants replacing with a standard potable vessele with the same spec on the data badge. 1 hr job

Sponsored Links
Don't know why you've had such a trial Andy , these things are slightly unusual but not exactly the science of the moonly rockets. Just had a look at the manual which revealed.......absolutely nothing surprising.

You have two valves which are connected together and feed into a tundish (open funnel thing)? Or if not they make it to wherever it's currently dripping. The diagnosis of which one, is highly technical - undo pipe from output of each and look for water. They can open for a couple of reasons which need checking - usually that pressure vessel - and are a bit inclined to keep "letting by" thereafter. Some replacements are "specials".

I'm a bit west of you but can be encouraged by usual means to make it up the Elephant and round the Castle.. Email address in profile.

Hi Chris. I'm glad you're prepared to go- I don't have a visa to cross the water! Incidentally, if Andy is seeing it right- what scenario leaks on cold but stops as it heats up? Wasn't taught it and haven't seen it, but that goes for all sorts!

Well, could be it leaks all the time, it just evaporates when it's hot!

The Temp and Pressure Relief Valve is only 7 bar on these so almost as likely to let go as the 6 bar "expansion" ie "Other" pressure rel valve, and the T & P one gets hot, so any water from that one could evaporate.

See, nice and logical, which usually means it's a load of Jackson...

What do you think of 4 bar precharge? Seems high to me too.

Interesting- this is the set up (only one?) where no thermal cut off required. Suppose at 4 bar the vessell is as likely to get 'bladdered' as Charles Kennedey!

Noticed that, there's no 2 port valve.
No, no no port jusht whishky.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back