Leaking radiator....is it something I could easily repair?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,

Hoping someone may be willing to give me some guidance with a leaking radiator I had fitted about 2yrs ago. The leak isn't from one of the valves but from the join between the nut attached to the bottom of the radiator and where the pipe joins it...you can see the drip in the picture (however apologies for it being sideways...)

Is this something that is easy to fix? As I have tried tightening the nut to no avail :(

Thanking you all in advance...

Sponsored Links
Looks like an extension tail which are not brilliant anyway.If you have tried to tighten the nut and it hasn't worked you need to turn off both valves crack one of the union nuts and drain the rad. When the rad is empty remove from the wall and remove the tail,if you have to use another one make sure you wrap plenty of ptfe on the threads wrapping it clockwise.

Personally i do not like them,if there is a little bit of stress on them they tend to leak.

Don't forget to make a note of how many turns it takes to close the lockshield valve.

Looks like an extension tail which are not brilliant anyway.If you have tried to tighten the nut and it hasn't worked you need to turn off both valves crack one of the union nuts and drain the rad. When the rad is empty remove from the wall and remove the tail,if you have to use another one make sure you wrap plenty of ptfe on the threads wrapping it clockwise.

Personally i do not like them,if there is a little bit of stress on them they tend to leak.

Don't forget to make a note of how many turns it takes to close the lockshield valve.

Many thanks Armo74 for this...such a quick response and most helpful. It is an extension pipe as far as I can tell as it looks a lot newer than the rest of the pipe.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back