Leaking radiator

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I have a radiator with a slow leak after a decorator took it off and put it back on again...but its not from the valve or spindle which most of the posts I have found seem to refer to. It is a slow drip that seems to be coming from the join with the actual radiator - I have checked the nut and it is as tight as it will go. The attached photo hopefully shows the drip.

Thanks in advance for any advice you can give.

Mallangong

Attachments

• IMG_2202.JPG
    IMG_2202.JPG
    147.8 KB · Views: 119
Last edited:
Sponsored Links
If the leak is coming from where I think it is then tightening the nut won’t help.

Ideally you will want to take the tail out, clean it and refit it (with new PTFE), but you may find replacing the tails and valves with a new set to be better.

Last edited:
If it's coming from where the white tape is located ... you need to isolate the rad at the valves, drain it down, use an adjustable spanner and remove the tail and tape, clean up threads in rad and tail, re-wrap in 6/7 turns of gas PTFE and then re-fit. Should get to about 3/4 of the way into the rad and then it should really start to bite. Another 1/2 turn should do.

Sponsored Links
Marab and East61, thank you both. I drained down the rad and did as you suggested. Unfortunately it is still leaking - I even tried again with LSX as well (as an aside LSX disappointingly just seemed like standard silicone). I have watched it carefully and my best guess is that there must be a tiny crack in the weld of the tail to the main radiator body. I'm tempted to try using some of the additives that supposedly seal small holes from the inside but I'm sceptical.

I think therefore that I will have no other option but to replace it. It is 550mm by 800mm and is TBOE - if I buy a new one in the same size should it be a like for like replacement (i'm not confident in changing the pipe layout myself)?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back